Motoro Pup back to not eating

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
If that is the case then stick with the reds. though i suggest you get bigger reds than the normal varient as they soon will be understocked even for a worm farm of 2000. a worm farm of 2000 becomes 20 in less than a week when the rays get to around 9-10 inches. I got my super red worms from uncle jim. they are much larger than the small red wigglers.
Yes, he is who I was going to order from, so I may get a couple of variants of worms. I am waiting until I get back this weekend before starting anything with this venture.

I will say, I feel like the red worms that I have been feeding are about the size of nightcrawlers, pretty chunky little fellas.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So fingers crossed it isn't what it looks like.. Did another WC today to try and get the nitrates down further and give some clean water. I noticed for the last few days or so, he had been putting his pelvic fins above his disc, I thought it was odd but when he would swim off he would put them back down. After finishing up the water change tonight, I noticed the rear portion of one side of his disc lifting for a few seconds and then going back down, then the other side would go it and go back down, then both sides would do it. It continued for a few minutes before I turned the light in the room off and just walked out.

Obviously fearing the worst, but hoping for the best. This isn't the way I was hoping my first stingray would go. Fingers crossed that I am completely wrong, but his disinterest in eating and now this behavior has me on edge for it possibly being DC. I guess we will see in the morning, as I understand it to be a quickly developing situation once it starts.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Not death curl, he's stressed. Why I have no idea you will know best. Mine did this when I ****ed up and had ammonia and also when it got fungus /bacteria infection. He is showing you something is not right. Sorry I wish I knew what. Is your water perfect?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I believe what shark13 said is correct, I was leaving food in for extended amounts of time and believe I was creating ammonia spikes in the process. The bio keeps up fine for the stingray, but not the added good. He is in a temp tank, as my 210 had sprung a leak and I am in the process of getting that sorted. His current home is a 110gallon stock tank with a 500 GPH canister filter and a heafty sponge filter with a power head cycling water through it.

I believe the water is perfect now, after the WC yesterday I am sitting around 0,0,5. Lowered temp to 80 with WC also.
Have made sure to just leave him alone, the tank doesn't have lights on it, but obviously the room does so I have tried to leave lights off when possible, I might cover the tank.
Have tried to feed 2 times also, put a chopped worm in the tank and he either swims away from it or just lets it pile up around him. I leave it in for 10-15 minutes and if none of it has disappeared, I remove it.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I believe what shark13 said is correct, I was leaving food in for extended amounts of time and believe I was creating ammonia spikes in the process. The bio keeps up fine for the stingray, but not the added good. He is in a temp tank, as my 210 had sprung a leak and I am in the process of getting that sorted. His current home is a 110gallon stock tank with a 500 GPH canister filter and a heafty sponge filter with a power head cycling water through it.

I believe the water is perfect now, after the WC yesterday I am sitting around 0,0,5. Lowered temp to 80 with WC also.
Have made sure to just leave him alone, the tank doesn't have lights on it, but obviously the room does so I have tried to leave lights off when possible, I might cover the tank.
Have tried to feed 2 times also, put a chopped worm in the tank and he either swims away from it or just lets it pile up around him. I leave it in for 10-15 minutes and if none of it has disappeared, I remove it.
Have you added prazi?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
It's possible what he had has returned. It cured my ray which I think caught something from a previous ray months later.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I haven't added Prazi, but I have some on hand and can do so.

Also, checking pH again today, it is very low. Typically my pH straight out of the tap sits around 7.4-7.6, checking it today, less than 24hrs after the last WC, tank pH is 6.8-7.0.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Also, still not interested in eating have tossed chopped worms in 3 times since yesterday morning, still not the least bit interested. He is getting back to being very skinny as well, I am starting to see hip bones.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Dose with prazi man, feel for you. I just got over a horrible 6 months of ray disappointment.
I'm no ray expert but no one knows what exactly goes wrong with these animals. Good side is he has eaten so that's a big plus. Do another small WC , close lights, add air , prime and a dose in a half of prazi. Add the prazi in 3 increments over 2 days. Don't feed untill day 2 or 3 of prazi treatment and then keep adding earth worms twice daily. Keep the prazi treatment for 5 to 7 days then remove the med and do WC .if he starts eating wait 4 to 5 days and redose a single dose of prazi again for 7 days.

My first treatment on my ray she was really freaking out and I thought it was the prazi. Once she started eating on the second treatment the prazi didn't even phase her . So I thought it was the med affecting her but it seems it was maybe the die off of water ever was in her.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I thought my ray was a goner too. After 4 days of prazi it was like a button was pushed and she snapped right out of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store