Mucosus catfish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Very interesting catfis, this one is definitely going on my list of catfish to get one day. Thank you for sharing, I very much enjoyed looking at it and later doing research on them.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Those whiskers are long as hell, wow. Just a heads up, watch for mouth rot. IME these catfish with really long whiskers tend to be prone
Will do. Thanks.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Will do. Thanks.
What in the world, Ron??

Those whiskers are long as hell, wow. Just a heads up, watch for mouth rot. IME these catfish with really long whiskers tend to be prone
If I may disagree... Based on how many fish and what species and kept for how long are you drawing such a conclusion and even (!) dispensing a warning?

I think mouth rot has absolutely nothing to do with the barbel length but with the quality of water, stress, poor diet, and overall poor keeping conditions. One or all of these must be the likely explanations behind your experience, not the made up one you are offering.

Mouth and fin rot is a very well known disease and, correct me if I am wrong, has never been associated even with the presence of barbels, not to mention their length.

If you challenge common knowledge and convention, you better be prepared to defend your stance.

If one has sharp rocks for the substrate, this again would fall under poor husbandry.

This is a good article as an example: http://petskeepersguide.com/fish-mouth-rot-fungus-treatment/

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Had to look into it before as i didn’t know if there was a correlation b/w long whiskers and mouth rot. Took it as a suggestion.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Had to look into it before as i didn’t know if there was a correlation b/w long whiskers and mouth rot. Took it as a suggestion.
Have you found a correlation? Even with the presence of any barbels?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store