My 540 -- Pics -- Mostly Vieja

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

About 3 weeks ago. Nothing much has changed. Bfia only really has 1 black line now. Midas is getting thicker, not longer.
Absolutely my fav tank on mfk man. Really like all the new dw. Did you find it locally or store baught. The argentea look like they put on some size and the pearsei looks great looks like he/she is glowing

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I bought that manzanita, and the stump, off the internet and paid a small fortune for it. I'd like to get some more but I don't wanna spend the money. I need lights first.

And I need to figure out some way to put some more cover in there. Aquascaping is really hard for me. I'm thinking another stump is what I'll do. I can get rocks locally, but they're heavy and numerous--that's a pain when I need to get in there and net a fish out. I'd rather take out 2 stumps than 40 rocks, and then get all the rocks back in and rebuild a cave.

I need some ideas.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I dont know man i think another stump would kind of take away from what already there (existing stump)

Maybe some tall fake plants

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Anything I put in that tank that even looks kinda like a plant gets ripped up and picked apart. I think it comes from feeding lettuce so much when they were young.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If you could hang some manz on the right size it would look sick and help with cover. I haven't found a fun way to do it yet, thinking of incorporating my 3D background somehow.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah that was a dumb suggestion man. I dont remember all of the branches in there did recently add them ?

I dont know man i think it looks great as is

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I bought some Manzanita sticks along with the stump back when I first set the tank up. I just never put the sticks in until a month or two ago. I'm gonna look around the web, try and find some pics of tanks with alotta driftwood, try to figure out how to place it better, and buy 6-8 more.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I would do something like that instead of adding another stump. Dont know why but i feel like 2 of them would take away from eachother....maybe less natural looming than it is now.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The latest update.

I have Midas Fry all over the place now--20 Gallon hospital tank, the sump. The Midas Pair is by themselves in my 125 Gallon in the front of the house. so the 540 is all Vieja now.

My Trimac died -- again! Third one that's died in this tank. He was in there for months, putting on size, perfect fins, looked to me like he was well able to stick up for himself. He went from 4 inches to 6-7 inches--great color. something bit him, bit got infected, I had trouble netting him out so I figured he couldn't be that sick if he's that hard to catch. But, he got worse and eventually died in the 20 Gallon hospital tank. I put Nitrofurazone in the 20 gallon, but the infection was big, white, growing, nasty. Shoulda caught him and dosed him earlier.

I had a Carpintis in the 540, he died too. No idea how, I was outta town when it happened. Murder if I had to guess, though.

I have a Breidohri growing out in the 540 now.

I have 2 Regani that have been in the 125 for about a year. I didn't think they'd make it in the 540, but I didn't have a choice. They'd have surely died in the 125 when I moved the Midas pair in there. But, Regani get along fine in the 540 so far. I think they might actually be growing a little bit, too!

The Zonatus are growing -- they're bout 8-10 inches now.
The BlackBelt isn't growing at all, I figure he's about 10 inches.
The Synspilum/Belize is the undisputed king of the tank now. Surprising, because he used to be the total bottom of the pecking order. Now he's 12 inches and mean!
Bifa's are still just there--they are bigger, though--about 12 inches and 10-11 inches.
The Argentea--still not really growing much. I figure they're 8-9 inches maybe.

I'm thinking seriously about either an Argentea or Trimac breeding project--maybe in my sump since fry end up in there anyway. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store