My first dip with dorado, sold as brassie by Rapps, thought to be frankie

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hybrid vigor is one of the claimed advantages of hybrid fish aquacultured for food, that is claimed for viable hybrids, because most of them are non-viable or poorly viable.

Reactions: Redshark1

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 8 dorado nip the far larger goldfish but not the Chinese hifin banded sharks, look to be scared of the dark colored sharks.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I concur with DB's observation about tank size. I had my dorados in a 225g which they grew to a monster size and had no problems. These guys are highly aggressive even to their own kind.
One thing I did was to only feed pellets and I would give them as much as they can eat each time. Pellet will help a little with water quality vs fresh. You might remember that Jib and I kept dorados at the same time in similar tank size. I believe he fed fresh. Well, you can do the comparison and draw your own conclusion.
I don't believe the scale count is an accurate determinator of sp. which I kinda eluded to in my dorado growout thread. This is just me.
Any thoughts as to why someone with a similar sized group in a larger tank (10x4x2.5) would not experience any of the aggression you described????

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have no clue.
Most logical answer would be different species wouldn't it????

In my case all variables were the same except the fish...... Several groups failed to work together, one group did.

One could argue that I just got "lucky". BUT IF you knew me or my luck you'd know IF it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The dorado grew to 4"-5" in 1 month with us. Started nipping the smaller deformed Chinese hifin shark. And I thought arowana too (but that was erroneous, that was aro on aro damage as future showed). Got their own 240 gal for now.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Last edited:
Reactions: ryanstef

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One dies by itself in less than a day. Another is bit in half as a result of my missing a feeding:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store