My move to the Philippines

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
This is awesome, jex. I may want to follow in your footsteps one day if they'll have me lol.
That's the thing about the Philippines, very welcoming, warm friendly people. Every time I walk by one I say a greeting and they reply back very happy very friendly. Not like in the US, we're you are more than likely to get a F you instead.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Cristine took a nap yesterday, her birthday what ever she wants right. When she woke up, I surprised her by taking her to a restaurant down the road called Sips and Slices. Had a nice pizza dinner, some yummy coffee. Apparently this was the very first time anyone has ever taken her out to dinner ever for any reason. When we got home she broke down crying, and spoke them three magical words we men want to hear.
Yup she's the one.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So I need to add this for perspective movers to the Philippines.
There is no Social Security for the citizens. What is done is thier children all pitch in to take care of the parents as they age. Most have many kids so each child's responsibility is not that much. Cristine is one of seven children.

Now as in my situation, I rather Cristine be here with me all day instead of working a 9 hour day, then add travel time to and from work... so be ready to take on your Filipinas responsibilities if you want her with you all day. Or if not let her work still and sit there alone for all that time.

Cristine has a 16 year old son in a private school. That's a 1000 peso a week, her portion of mom's care as dad has passed is 4000 a month. So that's 8000 peso a month. Converted to USD, less than 200 a month. That's a 100 less than my car payment when I was back in the states, well worth it in my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Congrats on the move Jex! Sounds like you made a smooth transition to your new life. It‘s always fascinating to see what life is like in other countries so appreciate you sharing. Perhaps you can upload more pics and even visit some LFS out there when you have time. Keep us posted and all the best!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Congrats on the move Jex! Sounds like you made a smooth transition to your new life. It‘s always fascinating to see what life is like in other countries so appreciate you sharing. Perhaps you can upload more pics and even visit some LFS out there when you have time. Keep us posted and all the best!
I will, this month I am tapped financially, moving into the place and making sure I have funds to eat the whole month as it's my first month buying real food for two. In the months ahead we will be doing more things outside of the apartment.
Already found a guy on Facebook that will custom build tanks any size you want for stupid cheap. Though I can't have any pets at all where is am so a tank setup is still a year out, at a minimum.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just discovered and read thru this, Congrats..... its amazing how similar that life is, is to life here in Panama.
Cost of living is close, (although not quite as "in"expensive) especially for stuff imported from the U.S.
Luckily I don't mind a certain amount or primitive, and don't mind not owing a vehicle.
You can walk across the entire length of the pueblo where I live, in about 5 minutes.
The fishermen bring fresh fish like red snapper, or mahi mahi to my door,, cleaned for less than $3 per LB, and tropical fruit arrives much the same way
If my wife kicks the bucket, or leaves me.... well......
Wives often leave gringo's here, some can't take the heat, or some, the primitive life style, and it never takes more than a few seconds, and those gringo men are instantly partnered up again.

The laws are similar here too, a Norte Americano, can start a business, but not get hired to do work.
But as a retired person living on a fixed income like a pension, or social security (I'm called a Jubilado here). there are built in benefits and discounts.
Health care and dental here is very inexpensive, but for major stuff, I go back to the states, to take advantage of the medicare I paid into, for over 60 years.
I know some people who fly down here for certain dental procedures, and even with flights and hotels, are ahead of the game.

I've been here (retired) for over 9 years, and would not (probably couldn't afford to) to move back.
I'm still a US citizen, and won't give that up.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Want a beer? :)
Actually it was that L word so many guys run away from.
She is also making all these Tiktoks to local love songs. Never had a woman treat me so well. Still gets me every time I ask if I can help with house cleaning, and she says "No, this is woman's work, you relax"

Reactions: koltsixx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store