Neolamprologus brichardi

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Never kept them individually. But in pairs it depends on the individual fish which one is more aggressive.
I had some helianthus that always spawned in a very hidden cave but I knew every time that they are breeding because the male got a beating. Missing scales and shredded fins but never too serious.

View attachment 1539831
Mine are kilipi BTW

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Never kept them individually. But in pairs it depends on the individual fish which one is more aggressive.
I had some helianthus that always spawned in a very hidden cave but I knew every time that they are breeding because the male got a beating. Missing scales and shredded fins but never too serious.

View attachment 1539831
It’s only been 24 hours but it’s crazy now that I only have a single callochromis and no conspecifics other than two male brichardi, how there’s zero aggression. There’s very minor territorial chasing but that’s it. Most of the fish are sorta shoaling with each other at times. This is my first true community Tang setup though

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I hope it works for you long term. I think you can really judge the situation when everyone is settled in properly and every fish has reached maturity. I hope you have all males because N. cylindricus tend to breed with anything that even remotely resembles them.

Sometimes same sex pairs can act like real pairs including aggression.
Here are two female T. dhonti defending territory against an N. buescheri male.

Zwischenablage05_104429.jpg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I hope it works for you long term. I think you can really judge the situation when everyone is settled in properly and every fish has reached maturity. I hope you have all males because N. cylindricus tend to breed with anything that even remotely resembles them.

View attachment 1539948
Wow , that’s pretty wild. My two kilipi are definitely acting like “friends” as far as cruising the tank together. But assuming the seller is accurate, I do have all males and they’re all still getting along great. The only tension so far was between the callochromis and the tiger nasuta, but that has stopped.But I agree it’s way too soon to call it a success. I’ll keep posting updates and thanks for all the great info!

Reactions: Milingu

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019

View attachment 1539948
Hi, one more question if that’s ok. I think the community tang is complete, but I did see a turkana jewel at my LSF today that is tempting
Here’s what’s in the tank now
1 callochromis
2 Male kilipi brichardi
1 nasuta tiger
2 J. Transcriptus
1 Frontosa ( I know he’s gonna get too big, I’ll probably sell him to a friend when the time comes)
1 Cylindricus
1 Lepidiolamprologus Attenuatus
The Nasuta and callochromis are pretty young, I’d classify the rest as sub- adults. They’re still all getting along great. So the million dollar question, do you think I should leave things alone or how do you the turkana would do in this mix?
Thanks!

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I would not add any more fish though I understand the temptation with the exul.
I figured, that’s why I walked away from it lol. But just thought I’d ask since I’m a rookie when it comes to tangs
Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store