New 40 gallon breeder tank! :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Can plants live in sand substrate or does it have to be that special one for plants? What about clay balls for hydroponic
I have a few plants in my tanks but I'm no expert by any definition - just wanted to put that out there.

Anyways, most stem plants don't need special substrate but definitely benefit from one from what I've read, if your fish don't dig then maybe consider some root tabs to put under them, this will help them grow better. Just use google and experiment and see what lives and what doesn't, something will work sooner or later. :)

Also, if you've got wood in the tank why not try the route convict360 convict360 suggested with anubias and java fern and other plants that just cling onto the wood? A lot of these are also low maintenance, low tech plants making them easy to grow, also you don't have to worry about them being dug up if your fish do dig. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I have a few plants in my tanks but I'm no expert by any definition - just wanted to put that out there.

Anyways, most stem plants don't need special substrate but definitely benefit from one from what I've read, if your fish don't dig then maybe consider some root tabs to put under them, this will help them grow better. Just use google and experiment and see what lives and what doesn't, something will work sooner or later. :)

Also, if you've got wood in the tank why not try the route convict360 convict360 suggested with anubias and java fern and other plants that just cling onto the wood? A lot of these are also low maintenance, low tech plants making them easy to grow, also you don't have to worry about them being dug up if your fish do dig. :)
Well I haven't decided if I'm doing wood just yet because I don't really know how to get it ready for a tank with fish. I do like the look of plants on the wood tho!

Eddie0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2016
Well I haven't decided if I'm doing wood just yet because I don't really know how to get it ready for a tank with fish. I do like the look of plants on the wood tho!
I like to go into my trusted local fish store and buy the wood rite out of a aqurium that way its been soaked and sinks also all the tannis are out of it and will not discolor my aquarium plus you can see how it really looks insde the aquarium

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I like to go into my trusted local fish store and buy the wood rite out of a aqurium that way its been soaked and sinks also all the tannis are out of it and will not discolor my aquarium plus you can see how it really looks insde the aquarium
That is a very good point! I will have to check out my lfs to see if they have one soaked already.

Eddie0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2016
That is a very good point! I will have to check out my lfs to see if they have one soaked already.
Maybe you can help me.....im really bad with computers and never did forums i just joined so i can post a picture to get help identifying soming but i was told i have to make 5 post first....what does that mean? Is it what im doing now and if not how do i post something....thanks for any help....when i say im bad and new to forums and computers...i dont have twitter or facebook and dont even know how to use them...lol.lol.lol

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Maybe you can help me.....im really bad with computers and never did forums i just joined so i can post a picture to get help identifying soming but i was told i have to make 5 post first....what does that mean? Is it what im doing now and if not how do i post something....thanks for any help....when i say im bad and new to forums and computers...i dont have twitter or facebook and dont even know how to use them...lol.lol.lol
I'm not really sure but the only thing I can think of is that you have to make at least 5 forum post of your own. Not just comment on ones already made.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I think wood sold at lfs is essential ready and sink. Although the ones in tanks already will have less tannins than new ones not in water. Those you would want to soak or boil - unless you don't mind the tannins.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I think wood sold at lfs is essential ready and sink. Although the ones in tanks already will have less tannins than new ones not in water. Those you would want to soak or boil - unless you don't mind the tannins.
So what is tannins exactly?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
So what is tannins exactly?
Not my own words but is most relevant for you: Eventually with water changes there will be less and less tannins. It does not harm your tank or fish. Some folks actually like the look.

Tannins are a natural compound contained in the driftwood and they are released into your tank water as the driftwood soaks. Tannins will stain your tank water a light yellow color or when concentrated - the color of tea. The amount of staining depends on what type of driftwood and how much wood driftwood you are using. Boiling driftwood can be thought of as placing a bag of tea in a hot cup of water. The longer the tea is in the water and the hotter the water is, the more tannins that will be released.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store