New 40 gallon breeder tank! :)

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Thank
Not my own words but is most relevant for you: Eventually with water changes there will be less and less tannins. It does not harm your tank or fish. Some folks actually like the look.

Tannins are a natural compound contained in the driftwood and they are released into your tank water as the driftwood soaks. Tannins will stain your tank water a light yellow color or when concentrated - the color of tea. The amount of staining depends on what type of driftwood and how much wood driftwood you are using. Boiling driftwood can be thought of as placing a bag of tea in a hot cup of water. The longer the tea is in the water and the hotter the water is, the more tannins that will be released.
thank you for his info! I was mainly worried about the fish and plants health. Glad to know it won't affect them.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Okay, so I added in a layer of my clay balls that I use for hydroponics. On top of those is 50 lbs of black sand and then my driftwood setup on top. It's 1 large piece for $30 and one small piece for $9.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Also, driftwood was dry. I rinsed it off and just put it in the tank. Tank is cycling for a month anyways. I see some white on the wood....is that normal? Wasn't there till after sitting in the tank for 5mins.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I have a few plants in my tanks but I'm no expert by any definition - just wanted to put that out there.

Anyways, most stem plants don't need special substrate but definitely benefit from one from what I've read, if your fish don't dig then maybe consider some root tabs to put under them, this will help them grow better. Just use google and experiment and see what lives and what doesn't, something will work sooner or later. :)

Also, if you've got wood in the tank why not try the route convict360 convict360 suggested with anubias and java fern and other plants that just cling onto the wood? A lot of these are also low maintenance, low tech plants making them easy to grow, also you don't have to worry about them being dug up if your fish do dig. :)
What's the white stuff on the wood?

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Tbh I would add the sand, and a couple of plants like anubias or java fern specie. Don't make sand bed to thick for myself about 2inchs max, I suggest pool filter sand or aquarium sand sold in the lfs. That 110 is going to create a strong current so that is my reason for suggesting the 2 inch layer. Sand will cause the filter to get loud, and can damage your filter 's propeller if to much sand gets sucked in.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I've got no clue...

Before I put wood in my tanks I usually boil it for an hour or so if its small enough (if not then I bake it for an hour), followed by a thorough scrub with a stiff bristled brush, a spray with the karcher (high pressured water) then plop it in the tank.

Idk what the white stuff is however, sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store