New Flowerhorn

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Looks like the water is good and clean. Ever use a mirror for him to spar with? If not you can try that for an hour or so a day and that can help bring out a larger kok. What are you feeding him? Good looking SRD. Love the reds on him.
Thanks I'll try the mirror trick.
I'm currently feeding him only Grand Sumo Red and XO Xituan Yuan.
If you guys have any suggestions on food for better color and bigger KOK, please share.
I want to stay away from live food because the gamble of parasites.

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Looks like the water is good and clean. Ever use a mirror for him to spar with? If not you can try that for an hour or so a day and that can help bring out a larger kok. What are you feeding him? Good looking SRD. Love the reds on him.
Thanks I'll try the mirror trick.
I'm currently feeding him only Grand Sumo Red and XO Xituan Yuan.
If you guys have any suggestions on food for better color and bigger KOK, please share.
I want to stay away from live food because the gamble of parasites.

Chaory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the reply!!

Dang it! I bought the dam sumo pellets lol... but thank you for the heads up on foods

My FH is fine with just pellets right?
Grand Sumo pellets are pretty good imo. Before using Grand Sumo, I fed my Flowerhorn on Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold Plus. After using Grand Sumo, his color has gotten brighter and deeper. I also notice that he started to thicken up.

Chaory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the reply!!

Dang it! I bought the dam sumo pellets lol... but thank you for the heads up on foods

My FH is fine with just pellets right?
Grand Sumo pellets are pretty good imo. Before using Grand Sumo, I fed my Flowerhorn on Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold Plus. After using Grand Sumo, his color has gotten brighter and deeper. I also notice that he started to thicken up.

Chaory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hey guys!
I'm totally new to this forum and new to Flowerhorn fishes in general, so I need to learn a lot from all the experts here.

I picked up a beautiful Flowerhorn about 2 weeks ago, everything is great so far. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right cuz I'm LOVING this fish and I want him to be in the best condition/health as much as possible.

He's currently chilling in a 60 gal tank, fx5 canister filter, temp at ~81F, and my FH is about 4inches. Got my water tested a day ago and everything was legit.

If u guys could identify what kind of FH it is that would be kool too.

I'm only feeding him XO XITuan Yuan pellets cuz the dude at my local fish store says that's the best for him. But I read around and heard that Grand Sumo Red pellets is the best out there, is that true?

I'm only feeding him twice a day with approx 15-20 pellets each time, is that too much or too little?

Sorry to hit u guys with a ton of questions, very much appreciated.

-Johnny View attachment 1189288 View attachment 1189289
I would personally recommend upping the temp to around 84-86.

Chaory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
You absolutely can but I choose not too because if you don't clean the gravel we'll enough, it can create bacterias that may harm your FH because they have a habit of picking it up with their mouth.
I used river rocks for my flowerhorn's substrates, because I hate the sight of poop. I don't have time to do daily vacs. Also it gives him something to do, is large enough that it can't be easily, and accidentally swallow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store