New Flowerhorn

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Hey guys!
I'm totally new to this forum and new to Flowerhorn fishes in general, so I need to learn a lot from all the experts here.

I picked up a beautiful Flowerhorn about 2 weeks ago, everything is great so far. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right cuz I'm LOVING this fish and I want him to be in the best condition/health as much as possible.

He's currently chilling in a 60 gal tank, fx5 canister filter, temp at ~81F, and my FH is about 4inches. Got my water tested a day ago and everything was legit.

If u guys could identify what kind of FH it is that would be kool too.

I'm only feeding him XO XITuan Yuan pellets cuz the dude at my local fish store says that's the best for him. But I read around and heard that Grand Sumo Red pellets is the best out there, is that true?

I'm only feeding him twice a day with approx 15-20 pellets each time, is that too much or too little?

Sorry to hit u guys with a ton of questions, very much appreciated.

-Johnny image.jpeg image.jpeg

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Male Zz red dragon type flowerhorn. Very nice and high quality. Good kok, fins, body shape, pearls, decent flowerline, and nice red coverage. I would stay away from the flowerhorn specific foods and recommend something like NLS. Your feeding is fine.

Reactions: J0hnny69

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
you need lots of gravels or media for surface to build bacteria. More the better.

J0hnny69

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Male Zz red dragon type flowerhorn. Very nice and high quality. Good kok, fins, body shape, pearls, decent flowerline, and nice red coverage. I would stay away from the flowerhorn specific foods and recommend something like NLS. Your feeding is fine.

Thank you so much for the reply!!

Dang it! I bought the dam sumo pellets lol... but thank you for the heads up on foods

My FH is fine with just pellets right?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
wash clean and slowly pour them in. Debris will settle

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Thank you so much for the reply!!

Dang it! I bought the dam sumo pellets lol... but thank you for the heads up on foods

My FH is fine with just pellets right?
Lol. No worries. GSR red pellets are good too. Just a bit hyped and overpriced. After your done with the bottle just get him a good brand of pellets like NLS. He is fine with just pellets. You can give him treats once in a while if you'd like. No live foods. For example... maybe when your thawing out some shrimp for dinner you can give him a little taste. It isn't needed though. Take care of him and keep us updated. I think he's gonna be a beauty!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store