New Hoplias Aimara

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Thanks. I doubled up one picture. It ate a LOT tonight. It actually chews on the prey item,once it's caught. Punches holes in it and crushes it. The jaw pressure is pretty amazing on such a small fish. Still mean as shizzle, and I don't tease it at all. It tries to attack anything that comes within about 4 feet of the aquarium.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nice pics, be careful not to over feed, try the comm?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
No go on the community. Fed it and moved it to the 200. It immediately flared it's gills and grabbed a pbass that is its same size and shook it like a dog. I had a terrible time trying to get the Aimara to release the pbass. Back in the 80 breeder for now.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Damn, sucks, hopefully he'll relax with age. Still a great fish.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
As of today 6-01-2015, the aimara wolffish is doing great. Got it in the new tank a while back. Not quite as ravenous at feeding time now. Seems to be kind of pouting now. It only eats about 3 times per week. It's hyper aggressive now. Trying to bite anything that gets near it...in the tank ,or outside of it, much more so now than ever before. It doesn't seem to be as bloodthirsty towards me, as opposed to my wife and daughters. Maybe that's because I'm the one that feeds and takes care of it. IMHO, it seems to recognize me. I believe that the Hoplias genus is relatively smart. They also learn really fast. I think that it will chill out in the next couple of weeks and hopefully get back to its old habits of rubbing the glass wanting to be fed constantly. Last I measured it, 11 5/8" was the length. It had gotten some good girth to it, but has lost some over the last few weeks since I moved it to a bigger aquarium. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture on this new format. I sure do like the old website 1,000,000% better. Sorry for the negative viewpoint, but the truth hurts I suppose. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store