New Stingray Home (600g)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Only 2 overflows? For those 2 pumps you may be overflowing the tank

You just doing socks, and then k1? Looks good
Yep , socks then moving media. (Using MB3) If need need be I can add some media at bottom of first baffle below socks.
According to the chart in DYI section 2" drains should flow 2400 each so with these pumps, plumbing size and head loss I should be fairly close. Maybe a little tweak here or there. Only concern is the teeth and if thats an issue then I will knock a few out. Got plans to sit here for half the day watching the flow to make sure everthing is equalized.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Do you have a watt meter to check how many watts your pumps are pulling?

I think the drain rate is for straight pipe. Once you add an elbow or 2 it drastically changes

On my tanks i have 4 drains at 2" and if i do anything over about 5k gph my tank will start to overflow because of the standpipes not the overflow teeth

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If all else fails I can close off the ball valves slightly on drains and create a partial syphon or even full syphon increasing the flow. How tall are your stand pipes? Mine are 24".
One is virtually a straight drop but the other has a long tapered 4' run. I am sure I will have to tweak

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Got a meter, but where do I place the probes to test? Arent your pumps a lot larger than these Lagunas. Honestly I will be surprised if I get anything over 4k just because of the way I had to do returns. I probably have 9' of head on each pump with the plumbing reduction. Thats why I went with the larger pumps to help counter that. At least that was my theory..........

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Been running for an over hour and half, flow is perfectly equalized so far, hasnt moved off marks.

Even figuring 11' ( high end) of head on each pump its flowing roughly 3950 an hour. And honestly I figure less than head height than that. If 10' of head I am getting roughly 4400.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Meant to say at 11' of head each pump is pushing roughly 1920 an hour, totaling roughly 3850. 10' of head roughly 2200 each totaling 2400.

Reactions: Toohard

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Nope, no flow problems! They were equalized perfectly from the get go. Couldnt have gotten any luckier. Did have a dew drip leaks that I fixed this morning.
Didnt do check valves yet, but will definitely need them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store