New sump, pump speed question

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Great looking sump. I like the bottle supporting the 90 degree of the return.

Post a picture of the main tank and overflow as well!
Hahaha I forgot too take it away while I was running the plumbing too temporarily hold it up.. my basement looks like a bomb went off right now! I'll get pictures up of the whole thing in the A.m! It's been a long day of fish tanks lol

Reactions: Midwater

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Good for you. Sumps are great, I hope you enjoy your setup.

socaliclown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2024
Also do you have stand pipes in the overflo? If so do the tops have a four way tee? And the drain hoses ends' being underwater creates back pressure making it harder for water to drain. Just a few thoughts I thought you may play around with. Goodluck and post that overflo pic 😉

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Also do you have stand pipes in the overflo? If so do the tops have a four way tee? And the drain hoses ends' being underwater creates back pressure making it harder for water to drain. Just a few thoughts I thought you may play around with. Goodluck and post that overflo pic 😉
I will get the pictures when I get home from work today! Quick question pertaining too water changes with sumps, when I do water changes in the main tank. Do I shut that sump off, drain the main tank water, refill the tank and then turn the sump back on.. I have valves on all my pipes that I can close

Reactions: socaliclown

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Start draining water from the main tank and turn off the pump. When you finish refilling the main tank and the water starts to go over the overflow, then turn the pump back on.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Could I start draining water from my main tank, shut the pump off and close the valves so water level stays the same in the sump? Then drain it, fill it back up and turn the pump on and open the valves? Or is all that unnecessary

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Could I start draining water from my main tank, shut the pump off and close the valves so water level stays the same in the sump? Then drain it, fill it back up and turn the pump on and open the valves? Or is all that unnecessary
I think for me the confusion is if I turn the pump off and drain start draining from the main tank, how do I know how much water too add back into the main tank so I dont add too much.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
From the picture of your sump, it can take much more water without overflowing, which is good.

Turn off the pump! Water from the main tank will still continue to flow over the overflow into the sump for a minute or two, until the water level in the main tank is just at the bottom of the overflow.

Then drain the water, and refill it to the same level, the bottom of the overflow.

Turn on the pump, and after a couple of minutes the tank and sump will balance out again.

You could use valves, but i do not think you need to.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Stop!

Post a picture of your main tank first, so that we can see your overflow.

I have been assuming the you have an overflow at the top. If you are siphoning from the bottom of the main tank, you will flood out your sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store