New sump, pump speed question

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Stop!

Post a picture of your main tank first, so that we can see your overflow.

I have been assuming the you have an overflow at the top. If you are siphoning from the bottom of the main tank, you will flood out your sump.
Ahhh yes I ran a test run i have more then enough room in my sump for the overflow if power ever goes out. I see now, ill do that exaxtly. Makes perfect sense thanks brother

No I have overflows and when i get home from work I'll get yall a picture! But no it all makes sense now. Like I said I did a test run turned my pump off and let all my water flow down too make sure I had the room which I do

Reactions: Midwater

socaliclown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2024
I will get the pictures when I get home from work today! Quick question pertaining too water changes with sumps, when I do water changes in the main tank. Do I shut that sump off, drain the main tank water, refill the tank and then turn the sump back on.. I have valves on all my pipes that I can close
That's what I would do

socaliclown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2024
I would turn off the pump and allow whatever water is going to backfill into your sump for that to happen. Then I would drain the desired amount, for example 50 gallons and I would Mark your tank so that way in the future you could just drain down to the mark

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I would turn off the pump and allow whatever water is going to backfill into your sump for that to happen. Then I would drain the desired amount, for example 50 gallons and I would Mark your tank so that way in the future you could just drain down to the mark
Even if I did it that way, and I drained it till my overflow stops. Then took water out like you said for example 50 gallons and made a mark. Next time i do my water changes. Ide have to turn my valves off so nothing else drains, and I could drain down too that mark. Then I could fill it back toonthe top of the tank. I'll have too mark a full line also

Or every water change ide have too drain it into the sump then drain from there once it's past the overflows

Reactions: socaliclown
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store