New Tank & Baby Green Terror!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
If I opted to use my AC110 instead of a canister (still scared of canisters as I travel a lot) should I add another one on the other side of a 75? Or should I use a power-head or something to keep the water moving laterally so the bottom stays clean? The AC 110 on my 29 gallon keeps it stirred up enough that it stays spotless....want to follow that trend lol!

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Personally, I like having more than one filter just in case if a filter breaks the other one can take the load. I would have two HOBs. I have two on my tank and sometimes one is faulty, and while I'm usually there to fix it immediately (at midnight), its always comforting to have two running.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I like to have a sponge filter in all tanks. Mostly use HOB for water movement. Canisters if needed for larger cichlid tanks. Got a bunch of bubblers clearance ($2) I hook to the sponge for power outages.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I like to have a sponge filter in all tanks. Mostly use HOB for water movement. Canisters if needed for larger cichlid tanks. Got a bunch of bubblers clearance ($2) I hook to the sponge for power outages.
I like the ease of sponges, but not the look. I used them on my grow outs when I was breeding vics and they definitely worked great

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I like the ease of sponges, but not the look. I used them on my grow outs when I was breeding vics and they definitely worked great
^ 100% agree, sponge filters just ruin the looks. But for practical purposes, yes they do a great job.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I've never worried about the scape. I keep mostly large amphilophus and they destroy anything I set up.
I’ve never kept amph’s but I have kept Buttikoferi and from my experience with those, I’m surprised your cichlids don’t rip the sponge apart lol

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I've got some chunks missing from a few. Still working though. I had issues with them disconnecting the airline while moving it around. More of an issue with the oscars I've kept then the Amps.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store