Newbie with stingrays (Dasyatis sabina) Help !

habit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello, have been reading information on the forum but still needing more input. I have two Atlantic stingrays (young) one female and one male in a 110 gallon tank with sand. Have the Rena xp4 . Moving into a larger one soon ! what size do I need to go? only wanting to buy one more time !! also I found this heater (the Fluval E Series heater) hope this will be o.k.? The info has been great on the Monster/ forum Thank you for being here........................ I will post pictures and updates ......... Habit:nilly:

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
they in fresh water....

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
habit;2850621; said:
Yes they are in Fresh water ................Happy and eating well....
:duh: They wont last long in freshwater...especially in a 110...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Atlantic stingrays are actually saltwater rays. They sell them as freshwater because they can adapt to live in it temporarily. They produce a very large amount of urea as a side effect though, polluting the water more than normal, and they will be under constant stress until they are converted to saltwater. If I were you I would look into converting their tank into a saltwater tank in the very near future, or possibly re-homing them to someone who can provide a saltwater home for them.

Also, they will need a very large home eventually, close to 1,000g.

Good luck with the rays though, I hope that they do well for you.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
This info is false. they do NOT need salt water. Also, they do not grow anywhere near there salt water cousins.

The St. John's population completes its entire life cycle in freshwater, in spite of there being no physical barrier to fish migration. Many have speculated as to how this population may have come into existence. The possibility exists that the St. John's population is perhaps a remnant of the estuarine population that inhabited the area when sea level was higher, and the St. John's River basin was a brackish coastal lagoon (Amesbury and Snelson 1997). If this is indeed the case, then the St. John's population may have begun a genetic separation from the estuarine population as early as the late Pleistocene

mrbluetrigger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
oakland,C.a.
you should get a fluval fx5 canister filter its rated up to 400 gal. and change the filter media often to keep the environment clean and frequent large water changes are a must

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
they might NOT need saltwater in a river, but for AVERAGE keepers it would be easier to keep them in a 400g saltwater system than a 3000g freshwater system.

rivers provide constant freshwater, something we cant unless you have a drip system, that you wouldnt really consider a drip, more like a stream system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store