Newbie with stingrays (Dasyatis sabina) Help !

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
sodenoshirayuki;2851927; said:
LOL i wonder who is really the thick headed one here...How about this, you go get yourself a "freshwater" atlantic ray, and then go put it in a tank and treat it as any normal freshwater ray and see if your tank starts smelling like a zoo.
I have one for a month in my care, no ammonia spike, foul smell, no death...................
I have owned these befor with no salt and they were fine.

habit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for the information,:nilly: I will do my best to keep them alive!! Yes I will get a bigger tank….looking for one right now! ……………I did not take them out of the water:chillpill: but I did take them from the store!:D Had I known what I know now ?!? I would have not bought them! Too late for all that :cry:…………driving into saving them!!:WHOA: ………Habit

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
FRP .... long term, they will die in a small captive home tank. Urea ouput is baesd on the animals abilities to osmoregulate themselves in relation to the salinity of the environment the are in. Marine elsmobranches are very different in the way they pass waste vs. how freshwater fish do. People need to know that prior to getting one of these rays. Waste increase will be ten fold. So, if you need a 100 gallon tank to house a freshwaer fish of the same size, you'll need a 10,000 gallon for a FW Altantic ray.

So, in short, the FACT is that these shouldn't be kept in freshwater long term. To be kept RIGHT, they are saltwater animals. And just for the fun of it, how many pet trade Altantics are coming from the river vs coming from the ocean?

rmkoonaquatic

Banned
Apr 30, 2015
Island Grove, Fla.
FRP .... long term, they will die in a small captive home tank. Urea ouput is baesd on the animals abilities to osmoregulate themselves in relation to the salinity of the environment the are in. Marine elsmobranches are very different in the way they pass waste vs. how freshwater fish do. People need to know that prior to getting one of these rays. Waste increase will be ten fold. So, if you need a 100 gallon tank to house a freshwaer fish of the same size, you'll need a 10,000 gallon for a FW Altantic ray.

So, in short, the FACT is that these shouldn't be kept in freshwater long term. To be kept RIGHT, they are saltwater animals. And just for the fun of it, how many pet trade Altantics are coming from the river vs coming from the ocean?
rmkoonaquaticpets: I have a lot of these stingrays (Dasyatis sabina) and have had a lot of them for years...I keep approx. 50 rays in my 700 gal. tanks...these tanks have a bbfilter, a shredded pvc bio & a media filter / no problems. / problems arise if you do not control the nitrates and bacteria and fungus./ I must have a clean system at all times./ these rays are a lot different than their marine cousins...
rmkoon

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
rmkoonaquaticpets: I have a lot of these stingrays (Dasyatis sabina) and have had a lot of them for years...I keep approx. 50 rays in my 700 gal. tanks...these tanks have a bbfilter, a shredded pvc bio & a media filter / no problems. / problems arise if you do not control the nitrates and bacteria and fungus./ I must have a clean system at all times./ these rays are a lot different than their marine cousins...
rmkoon
Sounds like a nice setup.

What are you keeping them at salinity wise?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
rmkoon
this is terrible advice- you can not keep 50 of these rays in a 700 gallon tank for any sustained period of time - whether it is fresh water or salt water.

gmsoup

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2023
they might NOT need saltwater in a river, but for AVERAGE keepers it would be easier to keep them in a 400g saltwater system than a 3000g freshwater system.

rivers provide constant freshwater, something we cant unless you have a drip system, that you wouldnt really consider a drip, more like a stream system.
I am not the smartest or best fishkeeper but I do know quite a lot about things and I have never head or seen anything about stingrays needing constant freshwater and what dose that mean new clean water if so wouldn't a filter do that

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
constant freshwater
Welcome aboard
It's the constant change of water to rid of waste in the water. Stingrays are major contributors to a filters bioload. Filters cannot do this alone large weekly or constant drip systems are a must for Stingrays or any larger species of aquarium fish.

Reactions: gmsoup
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store