Polypterus senegalus "Lake Turkana"

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Just realized it's been a little over 2 years now! Quick shots during waterchange.

View attachment 1488964

View attachment 1488965

View attachment 1488966
Woah I heard Lake Turkana Senegals were a bit bigger but it totally dwarfs the Albinos.
What size of a tank do you house them in ?
Currently I have a 40 Breeder with 2 Albino Sens but already have plans (that may or may not happen) for a larger tank. What would be the minimum ? I really want either a Mokele Mbembe or Lake Turkana in the future.

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Mokelembembe probably a 75g or so. They just sit in corners. Minimum 55g. But mokes grow slow, do you could grow it out in the 40B for a whole.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Mokelembembe probably a 75g or so. They just sit in corners. Minimum 55g. But mokes grow slow, do you could grow it out in the 40B for a whole.
Eh would rather not risk it. I MIGHT get a 120cm long tank that is roughly 65 gallons ör so anyway in 4 months so might aswell get it then. Thing is they arent sold here and I dont know how or where to order one online and make it come from abroad.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Wow dwarfs the Albino Senegals.
Haha yeah these albinos are only 6"-7".
Woah I heard Lake Turkana Senegals were a bit bigger but it totally dwarfs the Albinos.
What size of a tank do you house them in ?
Currently I have a 40 Breeder with 2 Albino Sens but already have plans (that may or may not happen) for a larger tank. What would be the minimum ? I really want either a Mokele Mbembe or Lake Turkana in the future.
Yeah turkana senegals can put on a good amount of mass. This tank is only 100 cm x 55 cm footprint. Some might not agree with me but I think your albino sen/moke would be good for life in a 40B (If it's 90x45Cm footprint). Good chance both the albino and moke will not get any bigger than 25cm if grown from small.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Haha yeah these albinos are only 6"-7".

Yeah turkana senegals can put on a good amount of mass. This tank is only 100 cm x 55 cm footprint. Some might not agree with me but I think your albino sen/moke would be good for life in a 40B (If it's 90x45Cm footprint). Good chance both the albino and moke will not get any bigger than 25cm if grown from small.
Oh boi you wouldnt believe what I had to go through with my tank size. There is one guy that literally calls me out on every single thing I post on Reddit that has no experience with these fish. My tank is 80x45x45 cm. Plus I dont know how I would get my hands on a Moke. They arent available in my LFS or any other fish store in my country.

Reactions: Hao and L3CTR0N

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I was looking at old photos and just noticed how much girth the Turkana gained in the past 2 years.

View attachment 1489113

View attachment 1489114
Well Damn you Hao now I am going to have to get on finding me a truly massive one to go with my giant ornate, giant ansorgii and the other giants I have lined up. Hopefully I will be able to pick up those massive congi soon, it is driving me crazy having to wait

• Haha
Reactions: Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store