MyPicture_36.jpg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Gr8KarmaSF;4428677; said:
i'm not going to id it., but the connected tail, 6 total band is only found on true wide bars right? never on indos?

and you never mentioned in the previous reply to what you would consider as a rare salt water fish, I posted what I thought was were :)

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
krichardson;4428544; said:
On the topic of rare fish,Wes why do you think the African Scat is so hard to come by?
If I told you then I'd have to kill you, do you still want to know? The area where they come from, there are no ornamental tropical fish exporters...and there are 2 populations, brackish ones, and also landlocked ones! If you get the brackish ones, which I have in the past, they live for a year or so and will sometimes die mysteriously. The true landlocked ones stay well in pure fresh.

And back to people who talk all the mess of salt can't be in fresh etc., etc., some of the landlocked fish did not go through millions of years or evolution, but a mere rainstorm and trapped them into freshwater lakes and the population becomes landlocked. Nature's mysterious way is beyond man's mean understanding at times.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
fugupuff;4429694; said:
and you never mentioned in the previous reply to what you would consider as a rare salt water fish, I posted what I thought was were :)
Not sure what is rare to be honest. :D I was thinking about going back into salt, its been over 18 years since I had salt. :nilly:

X-Tank

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 20, 2006
www.youtube.com
fugupuff;4429708; said:
And back to people who talk all the mess of salt can't be in fresh etc., etc., some of the landlocked fish did not go through millions of years or evolution, but a mere rainstorm and trapped them into freshwater lakes and the population becomes landlocked. Nature's mysterious way is beyond man's mean understanding at times.
will this help?

Stenohaline vs. Euryhaline species
http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/vertebratefishevolution.pdf

If fish in discussion belongs to euryhaline species, regardless their "natural environment", they are capable to live and adapt in different environment, right?
People in general, always want to categorize things, yes or no, right or left but in real world nothing is absolute.
Read the last paragraph of that article, fish adapted, but not defined by environment.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
X-Tank;4432584; said:
will this help?

Stenohaline vs. Euryhaline species
http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/vertebratefishevolution.pdf

If fish in discussion belongs to euryhaline species, regardless their "natural environment", they are capable to live and adapt in different environment, right?
People in general, always want to categorize things, yes or no, right or left but in real world nothing is absolute.
Read the last paragraph of that article, fish adapted, but not defined by environment.
Very good information, James! :)

All-Happy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2006
SoCal SGV
fugupuff;4400285; said:
I always like collecting things of the same genus or family and getting as many different kinds that I can get my hands on.

Since you like the perches, I'll have something real special coming up soon!
anxiously awaiting your next stock...ticktock ticktock

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
fugupuff;4396668; said:
Siniperca scherzeri <---there are about 10 different species of these fish, and all different in color, shape and size. These are not the more common chinese siniperca chuatsi. Their max size range from 3" to 24" , personality, behavior like a datnoid.
I would just about pay scherzeri money for some chuatsi. I just like the shape more, seems like a more robust fish.

Do these S. scherzeri ever thincken out, or do they stay on the lean/cylindrical side?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store