Ray vs Puffer

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
piranha45 said:
any tankmates kept with a fahaka are in perpetual danger of being killed in a sudden anger fit. so make sure any tankmates you keep with it are disposeable. Make sure you have a 125g or larger to house it in as it approaches adult size. other than that, enjoy it.
I wouldn't say as much fits of anger, as fits of hunger. I have never seen a puffer get 'angry', except for the one time a parrot fish decided to eat food that was halfway hanging out the fahaka's mouth. The puffer got this look in his eye like the stay-puffed marshmellow man, and absolutely destroyed the parrot's face.

You will need a big tank for these guys. I would say the larger the capacity the better, as it allows for more water volume which usually means better water quality.. The important part is the dimensions. A full grown Puffer needs adequate 'turn-space'.. No matter the gallons, make sure you go with a 24" deep tank, rather than the traditional 18". I house mine in a tank that is 48x24x24.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Sounds good. I have had success keeping him with a comparable sized school of Tinfoil Barbs, and a Green Severum.. He eats anything he can catch though.. IE: Plecos.

evilfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
england
puffers are smarter!! does anyone know the eventual size of a mbu or a fahaka?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store