Silver dollars at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The silver dollars in 1800 gal appear to bother the dorado catfish or may be even bite its fin tips, so they had to move back to a 240 gal.

3:40-3:50 min and
4:45-5:45 min

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Hopefully moving the large dollars, shark, and upside down cat will fix the problem. I guess even in large tanks, if there is a lot of fish, there's bound to be interactions. I also think that boredom may play a role in aquaria.
I do not know what is the 'cyst' on the male silver dollar. However, I have seen similar spherical large 'cysts', at least once in a silver dollar, and perhaps once more, posted in forums. I searched in this forum for a picture, but could not find it. From my recollection of the post, and from your description it seems to be something that grows relatively slowly and does not appear to cause immediate problems to the fish (not acute). Instead it develops over several months, with apparently normal behavior of the fish. I would also like to know what causes them, and it would be nice to know if it is something that could be contagious. My guess is probably no, but what do I know? It would be worth considering a dissection/authopsy, particularly if the fish died. It also makes me wonder whether it is fluid-filled and can be drained.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so much, my benevolent SD advisor in-residence :) Yes, it grew slowly over many months or maybe even longer and it doesn't seem to have affected the red hook in any way so far, nor has it spread to others.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Congrats on the new dollars, and all the other new fish, tanks and totes.
I always cringe a little when I hear of ‘common’ dollars as a synonym of fish of the genus Metynnis. Currently 14 valid species, with 6 seen in the hobby with any frequency. Only tigers are not included in ‘common’ or ‘regular’. But I understand. Cheers!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009