SPIN THE WHEEL. What color?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My favorite oscars are dark black fins and margins with the rusty bronze/gold colored flanks. I'll spot a youngster like this every so often in the huddled masses of oscars at lfs, think they are just a darker variation of red oscars. I dont have much love in particular for any other variants but always appreciate oscars in general.

Other than that ive always wanted to see a big group of red oscars fully grown, all jostling and splashing each other at the front of an appropriately sized tank...time for an upgrade maybe???

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
There seems to be conflicting information about the size of the bumblebees...some say max at 10" some say the same size as ocellatus. I'm thinking they're the same size because the wild caught ones I saw at public aquariums were giant sized and they resembled the "bees". There were two types, the ones with high backs (ocellatus type) and the ones more elongated like submarines (like the bees) Even the vids online say some of the size info is dated. Like this one here:

BUMBLEBEE OSCAR CICHLID | FACT FILE (youtube.com)

see comments section as well. Anyone have the orbicularis?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have no imagination; I'd go with a classic Red Tiger.

Whatever you do, please...no long-finned Oscars! Standard body plan only!

And, as an aside...this is a great time to consider upgrading your main tank to a Jelly Cat. You won't even need to re-home your existing fish...:)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My vote is for the wc oscar for genetic and appearance.
Even red tiger doesn't necessarily doesn't wild type.
Any time you see names like Red Tiger, Bumblebee or other trade common names like that, it means "aquarium strain"
The only way to get a true wild type (my preference) would be using the name Astronotus occelatus, Astronauts crassipinnus, or A mikoljii
Or
yo could go to a site like Tangled Up in Cichlids, and get a real wild caught one
Tangled Up in Cichlids: Current Stock ListTangled Up in Cichlidshttps://www.tangledupincichlids.com

Last edited:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have no imagination; I'd go with a classic Red Tiger.

Whatever you do, please...no long-finned Oscars! Standard body plan only!

And, as an aside...this is a great time to consider upgrading your main tank to a Jelly Cat. You won't even need to re-home your existing fish...:)
The human equivalent to long fin Oscars. Any way you slice it, it don't work visually:

funny pic 4.JPG

funny pic.JPG

funny pic 5.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store