SPIN THE WHEEL. What color?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Tangled up in Cichlids has some pulchers I have my eye on, the Andinoacara pulcher , Cichlasoma dimerus 'Arroyo Chelsea' F1 , Cichlasoma dimerus 'Rio Cuaro' F1 , and Cichasoma dimerus 'Bella Union' F2 (no picture shown).
Here is Cichlasoma dimerus Bella Union
View attachment 1538306View attachment 1538305
Bella Union is the river border of Uruguay Argentina border in that area, and is a bit temperate, as opposed to being tropical, so in nature this species gets a bit of a winter cool down, and that helps it remain healthy.
I kept it with other Uruguayan species without a heater, where the tanks water temps dropped into the 60sF
View attachment 1538307
They also did well and spawned, in my pond in Milwaukee May thru Sept, where temps could fall even lower
[/QUOTE]

Beautiful fish, love that gold! All of my tanks are unheated save one, the 225 which is at about 75-76 degrees. Would these still need a cool down at say 75?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I heard back from the seller, very nice. He says the oscars are tank bred. Here are the pics in his inventory. I like that none of the images are color enhanced. I almost wish I had a 600 gallon tank...one of each color!

os 1.JPG

os 3.JPG

os 4.JPG

os 5.JPG

os 6.JPG

os 7.JPG

os 8.JPG

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The new Indonesian red leopard strain look really nice but if I were going Oscar I think I would have to go for the true bumblebee, Astronatus crassippinis although they stay a bit smaller at around 6-8”. They look stunning when young but like all Oscar’s, tend to lose a lot of that coloration as they grow. Id like to see an adult red leopard though, that may be a belter.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, looking at pics of a 2-inch Oscar and trying to extrapolate forward to what he'll look like at a foot in length is pretty tough; even people with extensive Oscar experience can only make an edumacated guess. And there will likely be a couple of intermediate "looks" that come and go over time.

"wild" Oscars from the Miami area, pretty nice looking fish.
View attachment 1538324
I think those ^ are absolutely gorgeous, and they may be wild...as in living free...but they would more likely be "feral" as opposed to true wild-type fish. I'm sure that only a few generations back their ancestors were Red Tigers or Reds or some other typical Oscar man-made colour. They got loose, or were set loose, and after a few generations all the garish colourful ones were picked off by predators, with the survivors rapidly reverting to something close to a natural-occurring fish.

Which in no way makes them less wonderful as aquarium fish! I've spent my life living with dogs, and only a couple have been actual established pure "breeds"; most were mutts, and each of them was the best dog I've ever had! Mutts are wonderful as pets, just as long as you know they're mutts, try not to breed them and absolutely don't try to pass them off as anything other than mutts. :)

Xanthics in general are awesome, every bit as spectacular IMHO as albinos but without those weird risen-from-the-grave red eyes. :)

And Cichlasome dimerus are lovely, I'm currently engaged with them and I like their quiet, subtle, non-gaudy colouration...but I think you'd be a bit disappointed by their relative lack of interactive personality. Oscars are tank stars; Dimerus are background supporting actors. Nice, but not Wow! :)

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So far it's Tiger/Wild in a runaway! Let's keep it going, folks...

But that marble ruby, woo. Got me thinking about clearing out the 125 and...but got no room. And a tiger in the 225...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IMO what you should avoid, is anything that has been bred, or in anny way originates from SE Asia.
Unless you are seeking weak genetics, but showy looking fish. Much like flowerhorns, bred for their beauty, not longevity.

I would focus on wild type, even feral O’s out of a canal in FL before buying fish sourced from Asia.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store