Stocking in a 125 -- would this work?

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
I'm making the final stocking choice for my 125g and would love an opinion/experience in helping me :)

This is what I'm heavily leaning towards:
3 jack dempseys (removing one if they pair off)
7 EBA
2 jewel cichlids
1-2 medium plecos (gold spot or blue phantom, or one of each)

That would be it, potentially indefinitely. I'm thinking it will leave a little wiggle room for something down the line if I want but the goal is to add all together young, so I'm not sure I"ll ever add anything else later...

Filtration will be 4 sponge filters, each rated for 60 gallons. I do have an additional 70g HOB I could add but want to see how the sponges do.

So....thoughts?

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
I'm making the final stocking choice for my 125g and would love an opinion/experience in helping me :)

This is what I'm heavily leaning towards:
3 jack dempseys (removing one if they pair off)
7 EBA
2 jewel cichlids
1-2 medium plecos (gold spot or blue phantom, or one of each)

That would be it, potentially indefinitely. I'm thinking it will leave a little wiggle room for something down the line if I want but the goal is to add all together young, so I'm not sure I"ll ever add anything else later...

Filtration will be 4 sponge filters, each rated for 60 gallons. I do have an additional 70g HOB I could add but want to see how the sponges do.

So....thoughts?
I personally think that’s a bit overstocked. Jack Dempseys are large territorial cichlids and from what I’ve read about jewel cichlids they are very aggressive as well. Maybe try something like a few Dempseys wait for them to pair off and then add some dithers?

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
hmm I've read all of these are compatible tank mates :/ I do have an extra 75 I could always move some into should the need arise.
But definitely also looking if anyone has had experience with any of these mixed before.
thank you for your input!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
hmm I've read all of these are compatible tank mates :/
Im not saying they’re not compatible. I just think imho that a 125 gallon tank is to small for that many aggressive cichlids, some of which you seem like you want to pair off which will only cause more aggression. Could a 75 gallon work to separate some? Sure. However I think you should revise the stocking so you most likely won’t even have to use it.

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
would it work to just get two JD's? If it's two males, will they fight or would they be OK if they're no females in the tank?

I'm thinking maybe just 6 EBA's and 2 JD's then...plecos also for sure, I could take or leave the jewels.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Each can be compatible, but not at the numbers you have.
7 ebas alone (assuming they don’t pair for and kill each other) is already more fish than should be in that tank.
With that mix, I’d be looking at individuals of any species to prevent aggression from breeding.

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
ugh see this is why I like to ask here, I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, it's just that everything I read on these fishes needs is so vastly different from people who post here and their experience/opinions. Everything I've read said they can be kept in colonies of 6+ in a 75 gallon, and should not be kept in smaller numbers than 6 unless breeding; and that they're fine in the tank so long as there's enough room for them to claim a territory.

I'll keep researching.
Thanks for the feed back.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Anytime you put a few species of cichlids together with similar color patterns, shapes and mouths (read similar feeding strategies) you risk them seeing each other as competitors, for resources, mates, and territory when mature.
JDs are adorned with blue spangles, jewel cichlids also have blue spangles, as do the "blue" acara, they all are also similar in shape, and have similar jaws.

All these characteristics suggest competition at some point, and possible problems, especially in the limited space of an aquarium, and don't think , just because they are in an aquarium, and not in nature, means that these instinctual characteristics go away.

They may be fine together as juvies, so they must be compatible (right?)......but as maturity sets in, that will be the time when these specific territorial needs become apparent.
Many people will say, "I've had my 3 inch cichlids together for 3 months and everything is fine.
The time territorial problems often arise, is only when they start to hit 5 inches +.
And with proper care, JDs can easily hit 10"

Below is a video of the kind of space, and species they share habitat with in nature.
https://youtu.be/txmi1mng_XQ
Some of the JDs in the first part of the video are @ 10",
and I recommend you turn the volume down, so you don;t have to put up with my snorkeling sputtering.

Last edited:

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
A pair would work or two females (will bicker a lot but less likely to maim each other or worse) but for me the aquarium is too narrow for a fish that grows over 6-8" if it's a standard 18" width though this is an unpopular opinion I just prefer my inhabitants to have plenty of room and not a single narrow stretch. Honestly the best way to house them is a pair alone or with a few tough inhabitants alongside them think a large bodied shoal and a couple catfish that can take the cichlids aggression without too much difficulty. If you would like to play the balancing act of a cichlid community avoiding any breeding is a much safer option. Like previously mentioned avoid species that are too similar in habit and morphology. Many species will hybridise so be aware of that when choosing the stock. All of the species you have mentioned are capable of living in the aquarium just not all at the same time harmoniously. Hemichromis as a whole are very waspish to downright homicidal when breeding, all species will to some degree damage the other inhabitants it's your job to minimise this and provide ample room for those trapped with the parents to avoid their attention. What is your goal with the aquarium? Is breeding something you want?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store