Stocking in a 125 -- would this work?

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
thank you for your thoughtful response. Do you have a suggestion on a compatible shoaling fish for the JD's?

My goal is just to enjoy the fish. The JD's and pleco(s) are non negotiable; I am very sure I want them in the tank. I read EBA's were compatible smaller tank mates which is why I entertained them as an addition, as I'd love some more fish in there to fill out the space if that makes sense, but I am completely open for suggestions here. I just enjoy the general shape of a more streamlined fish and I enjoy iridescence.

I have no interest in breeding. I do know where I can sell them should it happen but it is not an aspiration of mine as of now.

*eta by more "streamlined" I mean a more narrow silhouette, i.e. the opposite of, say, a silver dollar; the general shape of the JD is what I typically gravitate toward. The only other requirement is something that won't eat plants.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My Jack leaves Buenos Aires tetras alone.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Some of the most popular options are species such as congo tetras, giant danios, black widow tetras, red eye tetras (avoid balloon), rosy barbs, odessa barbs, gold barbs and many more will all be fine initially but keep an eye on the growth of your male JD as others said they can and will grow much larger than regularly accepted with proper care and eventually 2-3+ years down the line some of the species I mentioned could be preyed upon if it grows well.

Reactions: punchiechip

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I'm making the final stocking choice for my 125g and would love an opinion/experience in helping me :)

This is what I'm heavily leaning towards:
3 jack dempseys (removing one if they pair off)
7 EBA
2 jewel cichlids
1-2 medium plecos (gold spot or blue phantom, or one of each)

That would be it, potentially indefinitely. I'm thinking it will leave a little wiggle room for something down the line if I want but the goal is to add all together young, so I'm not sure I"ll ever add anything else later...

Filtration will be 4 sponge filters, each rated for 60 gallons. I do have an additional 70g HOB I could add but want to see how the sponges do.

So....thoughts?
I’d remove a Jack and the 7 EBJs . Assuming they each take opposite ends of the tank, a pair of Jeweles and JDs would be pretty cool, if one pair takes the middle, that would be a problem but your scaping can help with that

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
Some of the most popular options are species such as congo tetras, giant danios, black widow tetras, red eye tetras (avoid balloon), rosy barbs, odessa barbs, gold barbs and many more will all be fine initially but keep an eye on the growth of your male JD as others said they can and will grow much larger than regularly accepted with proper care and eventually 2-3+ years down the line some of the species I mentioned could be preyed upon if it grows well.
Which/what would you suggest as a dither that won't be lunch down the road?

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Since in this case we aren't looking to create a biotope personally I'd go for a group of giant danios (fast, reasonably large at four inches+ and will inhabit the upper areas of the aquarium) and/or a group of the barbs. Those I mentioned all reach around three inches or more and have very different colours to the JDs. If you did however want to add some other species that are more natural some larger mollies would work well and with the presence of the cichlids and cyprinids you won't become overwhelmed with fry.

punchiechip

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2024
other thought is aussie rainbowfish? or turquoise rainbowfish?

I do also like congo tetras but fear they'll eventually be food :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store