Tankmates for Bichir

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
I plan on having a 75 gallon aquarium and I am choosing between a single cichlid or having a smaller Bichir and some sort of tankmates or a tankmate with it. Any advice

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
If you went with upper jaw bichirs (the smaller ones) you could have a few along with tankmates.

What kind of tankmates were you thinking/wanting?

I know you've been looking into pretty aggressive, larger cichlids... has that plan changed? You can still do cichlids with bichirs, but you'd have to totally change your plans in that case to something smaller and less aggressive.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you went with upper jaw bichirs (the smaller ones) you could have a few along with tankmates.

What kind of tankmates were you thinking/wanting?

I know you've been looking into pretty aggressive, larger cichlids... has that plan changed? You can still do cichlids with bichirs, but you'd have to totally change your plans in that case to something smaller and less aggressive.

I totally agree with this. I have one male African Peacock in with 4 mature Senegal polys but had to switch out the last male African Peacock that was placed in prior due aggressive behavior towards one of the female polys. I suggest only adding a Cichlid only if you understand their behavior.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I keep two senegal polys in my 75 with 4 African knifefish, a snakeskin gourami and a featherfin synodontis catfish. Lots of fun in the tank.

You'll need some rather mild cichlids to go with polypterus. They're softies

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
I was hoping to keep 1 or 2 medium cichlids with the Bichir or one medium that was aggressive with him, but definitely not with a devil or oscar

Reactions: magpie

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
But I just saw a Bichir and I thought immediately that this would add some fun to my tank but I do not know anything about their diet besides they are carnivores.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was hoping to keep 1 or 2 medium cichlids with the Bichir or one medium that was aggressive with him, but definitely not with a devil or oscar
What are the Cichlids you have in mind.

How big is their bioload?
Imo bioload not that bad but depends on how large and how many you have also depend on the filtration and aquarium size.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store