Tankmates for Bichir

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If I can add a peace of advice here. I see that you are 14 and very excited about the hobby (this is a great thing!). The fish you are looking into keeping are going to cost a lot to take care of in the long run (monthly electric expenses will go up, food for large fish isn’t cheap, and will require a lot of weekly tank maintenance). They will need a larger tank sooner then later. They will get more aggressive towards each other the larger they get. A 75 gallon would make a great community tank. The number one rule in this hobby is patience, you are young and will have plenty of time to keep rare fish in the future. Just start slow and dont get carried away. Best of luck to you!!

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
Sounds amazing, would you say this tops the personality of a Midas? I kinda really want to see a bichir do one of those death roles. With the gourami how many could I have?
When i threw in some shrimp or tilapia they do it looks so cool honestly these fish are the best for freshwater cichlids are col but are too nutty

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
If a cichlid won't attack a poly it'll probably leave it alone J jaws7777 how's the persei with the polys?

I'd say: Pick 2/3 bichirs like:
Sens
Palmas
Delhezi

Then add an acara and done.

Black sand works well :)
And that is a good combo uj are usually more tame right exactly how many polis can u have i hear some guys overstock i think a few is good not like 15 in a 50 hal lmao

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
Ok, I noticed that people said three bichir and one acara could I do two smaller cichlids and two bichir? Or is that really pushing it, also what other prehistoric type fish could I keep with bichir, I just want to see if I can have a “Jurassic Park” kinda feel to the tank
Keeping polys are jurassic lol they been around since millions of years and thrs a few documentaries on YouTube if u really wanna dig in

Reactions: tlindsey

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I have only been in the hobby for a month or so but I have a semi planted 75 gallon with 2 senegals a delhezi and 5 Congo tetras and they seem to be doing well and the delhezi is very active at times and sometimes I’ll see him swimming at the top of the tank.

Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store