The Dreaded Aurnati Fungus

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Ahh that sucks!

I would clean it out Run it fish free for now. I'm sure with a bit of research and no fish to worry about there is something that can treat the tank and be harsh enough to guarntee no bacteria or fungus survive without killing the plants.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks, DC; that's what I'm hoping for.
I think that I would have been able to save them if I was able to continue dosing daily meds, but 4 days was too much with this terrible fungus.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Bottles,
I agree with Devon.
Keep the tank fish free for a while and then we´ll see.

Maybe Tom can chime in on the aspect of the survival of the fungus without hostess

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Hey all,
I was talking to Tom in PM. I am going to leave the plants and driftwood in the tank. Because the plants are mostly Anubias and Java Fern, they will be able to tolerate brackish conditions. I am going to run this tank around 86F with a salinity of about 1.005 for 4-5 weeks. I will make the temp and salinity adjustments slowly over the next 7-10 days, and then let it run for about a month before bringing the numbers down. The tank will remain fish free for this time.

Just wanted to say thanks again to all who offered advice and well wishes.
Hopefully I can finally put this fungus behind me.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Sounds like a good plan.

I plan to upgrade my Auranti into to the 160 this weekend if not sooner. Then I'm going to start raising the temps slowly and increase feedings, Hopefully I'll have some replacements for you in a few months time!

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I certainly hope this works. Specific Gravity is already at 1.005 (I'm thinking I'll go up to 1.008, as long as my plants can handle it), and temp is at 81F.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Yes Joao, so far they are handling it just fine. Specific Gravity has been 1.008 for the past few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store