"The Indominus Project"

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Interestingly as they mature I notice they all get a black line or two on their dorsal and anal fins, always on the ray that leads to the tip of the fin. Nick has it, his dad had it, it's strange how a seemingly randomized gene can make a seemingly hereditary pattern. Some get black lips or gill membranes, or a few dots on their abdomens. I have a batch growing from a pairing of the ones with the most black, and assuming the calico/marble gene is co/incomplete dominant, that batch should marble a bit more than their parents as they mature. It doesn't show well on camera but both the first gen offspring I posted had a bit of black. Not much but the gene's there.
Reminds me of when I bred convicts. Almost all of em looked like the parents except for q baby that had no stripes and was solid black. Even when she breed, once old enough, she never showers any other color besides jet black. Only downside was was that her color didn't pass down to the next gen as all of em ended up with normal coloration. My only guess was that she just so happened to be melanistic and that it's wasn't a dominant trait. Wish I had a pic of her to show. She was really pretty even tho she was mono-colored.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Did you try breeding her offspring back to eachother?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Did you try breeding her offspring back to eachother?
I wasn't breeding for color lol I was using em as feeders for my predator tank and lizards. I was going to try selective breeding but the females eventually killed each other, afterwards all I had left was the original male.

I might dip my toes back into them waters at some point but right now my focus is on getting my angelfish and FH's into their breeding tanks. Atleast then I can hopefully get it to the point where the hobby starts to pay for itself.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Found Nick and his wife dead today. Not sure what killed them or how long it's been. I estimate Nick died some time yesterday given he was floating when I found him, and the wife longer than that given the state she was in. I found her under the rock they usually nest in. I'll be burying them together tomorrow. Nick was 5 years old. Born June 13, 2018. Please look through this thread as a recap of their lives.

Yes I disinfected the carpet after.

PXL_20230821_052219184.MP.jpg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Well that’s unfortunate. Very sorry to hear that man. Was a very enjoyable thread the last several years, following The Indominus Project. I can say this project inspired me and peaked my interest in linebreeding convicts throughout its progression. Rest in peace, to Nick and his female.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Well that’s unfortunate. Very sorry to hear that man. Was a very enjoyable thread the last several years, following The Indominus Project. I can say this project inspired me and peaked my interest in linebreeding convicts throughout its progression. Rest in peace, to Nick and his female.
Thanks man, glad he helped inspire you

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Sorry
Found Nick and his wife dead today. Not sure what killed them or how long it's been. I estimate Nick died some time yesterday given he was floating when I found him, and the wife longer than that given the state she was in. I found her under the rock they usually nest in. I'll be burying them together tomorrow. Nick was 5 years old. Born June 13, 2018. Please look through this thread as a recap of their lives.

Yes I disinfected the carpet after.

View attachment 1524769
Sorry for your losses

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store