Tips on shipping ray pups

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I am starting to look into shipping some of my pups. I am looking for general advice on how to ship them, as well as some specific questions I have. I am shipping in Canada within Canada, so any Canadian specific information will help.

Plan so far:

Styrofoam box, double bag with the thick aquarium fish bags, fill with oxygen, place in the Styrofoam box, newspaper all around it, a couple heat packs, label as fragile, this way up, and keep between 10-25 C.

Specific questions:

Can I ship a pair of pups in the same bag or separate?

Knowing the crazy appetite and metabolism of these guys, how many hours would you suggest not feeding before?

Any successes or failures shipping with Canada Post? FedEx? Or do I have to drive a couple hours to do Air Canada/WestJet cargo since my airport doesn't offer that service?

How old are you guys comfortable shipping out pups? I get varied opinions on this one, a friend of mine got 3 marbles shipped at 5 months old and they were perfectly fine so that is what I have been kind of using for a benchmark, basically when stable and eating well.

Would you add anything inside the bag? Terms of preventative meds or stress coat or something, I am thinking will be fine without but just figured I would ask.

Any advice aside from my specific questions is much appreciated.

Thanks

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i have shipped pups many times, i can give you my advise.

#1 use 1/3 water 2/3 pure oxygen. you can get with a welder supply store and get a small bottle. You can get medical oxygen or welder oxygen either works.

I have shipped 2 pups in a bag, and also have shipped two pups, with both in their own bag. I shipped 6 pups in a box, and did three pups to a bag once, it was a big flat bottom bags. either way works fine. Try to find flights with no stop, or no changing planes if possible. I would go 2-3 days with NO food for safe measure. i have fed on Saturday morning lightly and shipped them out Monday morning with no problems but an extra day would be better IMO>

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you for the advice, exactly what I am looking for.

Where do you get your supplies for shipping? LFS? Or do you specialty order some stuff online like the bags and such?

Any comments on what types of heat packs I should be using?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i have ordered bags from mcmaster carr. but i usually get mine from LFS or from fish that i have had shipped to me..lol

shipping is pretty easy as long as you use o2, and the rays are small.

Reactions: mybluem3

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
Pentair has great bags. Use pure 02 and 24 heat packs I've shipped in cold weather and never any issues. I've had rays in transit 20+ hours never any problems

Reactions: SHARK13

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
24 heat packs?!? Or 24 hour heat packs lol... if the latter, how many? Any brand or suggestions where one find them?

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
I am starting to look into shipping some of my pups. I am looking for general advice on how to ship them, as well as some specific questions I have. I am shipping in Canada within Canada, so any Canadian specific information will help.

Plan so far:

Styrofoam box, double bag with the thick aquarium fish bags, fill with oxygen, place in the Styrofoam box, newspaper all around it, a couple heat packs, label as fragile, this way up, and keep between 10-25 C.

Specific questions:

Can I ship a pair of pups in the same bag or separate?

Knowing the crazy appetite and metabolism of these guys, how many hours would you suggest not feeding before?

Any successes or failures shipping with Canada Post? FedEx? Or do I have to drive a couple hours to do Air Canada/WestJet cargo since my airport doesn't offer that service?

How old are you guys comfortable shipping out pups? I get varied opinions on this one, a friend of mine got 3 marbles shipped at 5 months old and they were perfectly fine so that is what I have been kind of using for a benchmark, basically when stable and eating well.

Would you add anything inside the bag? Terms of preventative meds or stress coat or something, I am thinking will be fine without but just figured I would ask.

Any advice aside from my specific questions is much appreciated.

Thanks
Great topic for the novice keepers who are starting to ship Rays. Watching this one

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
This should be made a sticky. I have never shipped, but would be interested in trying. Any of you guys had luck with FedEx overnight? Or do you primarily go airport to airport shipping only?

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
There is some Canadian specific stuff you should know. First, Westjet and AirCanada can and do occasionally screw up. Be very careful to micromanage the whole shipment process with either carrier. Take photo/video at the terminal and tell the cargo guys how valuable the rays are. I've lost thousands of $$ in lost Asian arowana in the past due to Westjet "losing" a box for over 24 hours in the middle of winter. Be very clear with your customers in advance about how to handle any DOA due to airline mistake. I've also had boxes arrive that were pierced in transit with dead fish inside. I provide a live arrival guarantee.

I use the 12 hour heat packs available by the box from Costco.

If your pups are big enough to have a proper stinger consider getting thicker shipping bags than normal, double bagging, elastic bag inside elastic bag, and shipping upside down such that the bag "corners" are at the top. I do the same thing when shipping jumbo loaches. Good luck.

Reactions: SHARK13

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Dave, make sure to get good materials and supplies. Bags,etc. I would triple bag also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store