Tips on shipping ray pups

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
No luck with oxygen anywhere today, dozen stores. Figured out I will be shipping with Canada post. Box is 2x1.5x1.5, Styrofoam seems a bit thin. How many of the uniheat 40 hour packs to prepare for the cold? 2 or 3?

knirper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 12, 2013
Netherlands
I normally use one heat per box for shipping overseas in the Netherlands but for you in Canada maybe two is better. Don't use too much tough. Higher temperature water will contain less oxygen and fish will pollute the water more.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So maybe 2 is the way to go then? It's cold in Canada right now, and don't want it to be stuck in a cold warehouse, but I also don't want to cook the fish. So I guess I will go with 2.

You guys ship right in the Styrofoam container or do you find a box to go around it as well? IIRC I used to get my shipped fish right in the Styrofoam container, but I cant exactly remember anymore.

So Canada Post says I need to have the package to them by 5. So from 4 the rays will be in the bag. I don't imagine it will get to the buyer at least until noon, which is like 20 hours in the bag. Is this a questionable amount of time do you guys think? If I drove to an airport with cargo, I imagine it would cut that time down by maybe 6 hours, not exactly sure, but is that the much safer route or is 20 hours for these guys not a bad time? Buyer does not want to pick up from airport himself, but I am just curious for my knowledge if that would really be the difference of them making it or not. A friend of mine had 3 pups shipped and they were 15+ hours in transit, and they were perfectly fine, so I don't imagine an extra 5 would make or break anything, but maybe I'm completely wrong on that?

I once had FedEx lose a package on me, a little 1.5"-2" peacock bass. I ended up having to go pick it up the next day. Fish was totally fine and happy. Obviously different creature and different demands, however just trying to figure out exactly how fragile these things are if I make sure to package them properly.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
So maybe 2 is the way to go then? It's cold in Canada right now, and don't want it to be stuck in a cold warehouse, but I also don't want to cook the fish. So I guess I will go with 2.

You guys ship right in the Styrofoam container or do you find a box to go around it as well? IIRC I used to get my shipped fish right in the Styrofoam container, but I cant exactly remember anymore.

So Canada Post says I need to have the package to them by 5. So from 4 the rays will be in the bag. I don't imagine it will get to the buyer at least until noon, which is like 20 hours in the bag. Is this a questionable amount of time do you guys think? If I drove to an airport with cargo, I imagine it would cut that time down by maybe 6 hours, not exactly sure, but is that the much safer route or is 20 hours for these guys not a bad time? Buyer does not want to pick up from airport himself, but I am just curious for my knowledge if that would really be the difference of them making it or not. A friend of mine had 3 pups shipped and they were 15+ hours in transit, and they were perfectly fine, so I don't imagine an extra 5 would make or break anything, but maybe I'm completely wrong on that?

I once had FedEx lose a package on me, a little 1.5"-2" peacock bass. I ended up having to go pick it up the next day. Fish was totally fine and happy. Obviously different creature and different demands, however just trying to figure out exactly how fragile these things are if I make sure to package them properly.
When I've received larger saltwater puffers the packaging was always a cardboard box then a thick styrofoam cooler filled with packing peanuts and the heat packs were stapled to the bottom and sides of the box and the fish were packed in three thick bags.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
24 hrs is fine for it. When you tripple bag it and tie it nice and tight you don't loose oxygen and baggs stay full and also Ray has less chance to poke bag. I would find out a Ray safe solution that you could add in the bag to keep it calm and help with the waste. The worst part for the Ray is when the new owner opens the bag, this is when water starts to be a threat more so.
Tape the two heat packs to the bottom of the lid. Place styro in a cardboard box that fits tight. No play. If you can't find a card board box that fits get five pieces and use duck tape. Write on the box , keep warm, tropical fish, perishable.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Honestly I don't know how hard it is but the best thing would be to put one of those tubes on the stinger like the exporters do. Probally not as easy as it looks? Lol

Reactions: dat_tiger

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks Mike. I think I have decided 2 heat packs is enough. I hope you are right about 24 hours being fine. I am unsure if I will find a box to fit the container in, so I may do what you say and cardboard around it. Worst case I'm pretty sure I could ship it just in the styro no? I really am not worried about the stingers because theyre pretty young, don't exactly know how to use them, and will have good space in the bag. I found some 24x24 4 mil bags, so I think I will only double bag them, do you really think I need 3? I found an oxygen cylinder on used classifieds, in the process of getting that tested and filled so I don't have to keep asking local shops to do it for me while they look at me crooked haha.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I ship Tuesday guys. I got good 4 mil thick bags, will double bag. I got pure oxygen at home, I will put in 2 heat packs in there. Only thing is I couldn't find a cardboard box to fit the styro container, so looks like it will be going just in the styro. Hopefully Canada post takes care of this well. Any last minute advice folks?

Reactions: CANAMONSTER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store