Unknown puffer

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
I got an unknown puffer here. Will really appreciate it if anyone can provide me with some information.

The puffer is dark brown with patches of army green all over its body in different shapes. And there is these brown "hair" sticking out of its body all over. And it got an orange stomach.

Any idea?

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
rumblesushi said:
looks like a potato puffer
Potato puffer? Really such a thing?

I tried doing a search and nothing came out of it.

The most important piece of information I need is whether it is truely freshwater or brackish.
Thanks a lot.

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Hmm... It does sound like the Tetraodon baileyi. But as only one website has the information, and the picture of the fish is a bit mashed up, I can't really confirm.

Those hair like things are actually called cirri.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
bsplenden said:
Potato puffer? Really such a thing?

I tried doing a search and nothing came out of it.

The most important piece of information I need is whether it is truely freshwater or brackish.
Thanks a lot.
Yes there is a potato Puffer, I don't think that is one though.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Killduv said:
Looks like a Tetraodon Baileyi or Hairy Puffer to me
I would have to agree although I just saw some in a fish store over the weekend and they looked slightly different. The store owner was keeping his in fresh and they were a bit pricey for puffers.. 150$... how much did you get yours for?

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Rare Aqua sells them, one of the sponsors. It is rare, but not as rare as the Duboisi or Pustulatus. $150.00 is about the right price for that rare puffer. Not sure if you could keep a "community" of them in the same tank...nice find!

DRaGoNoVA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
Singapore
bsplenden said:
I got an unknown puffer here. Will really appreciate it if anyone can provide me with some information.

The puffer is dark brown with patches of army green all over its body in different shapes. And there is these brown "hair" sticking out of its body all over. And it got an orange stomach.

Any idea?
very cute bugger watch out for its beak though

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Looks like I am going to settle its ID as Tetraodon Baileyi for now. That is the closest I can get as information on this fish is scarce.

I got it for SGD 120. It cost 148 initially. But the LFS owner knows I am crazy about such things and gave me a little discount.

I am keeping it in FW now, and it is swimming around actively. I have not started feeding it yet. Will try some prawn meat later. I think I'm going to train it to take some dead meat. Will run by the LFS tomorrow and get it some live feeds to let it start eating if it does not eat later.

And I know about their beak. Going to get a couple of small snails to let it try its beak on tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store