Unknown puffer

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
bsplenden said:
I got an unknown puffer here. Will really appreciate it if anyone can provide me with some information.

The puffer is dark brown with patches of army green all over its body in different shapes. And there is these brown "hair" sticking out of its body all over. And it got an orange stomach.

Any idea?
hi bro, nice seeing u here..
well, cant really help out much id'ing your puffer here. but it does look uncommon.. might be a moph or evo?
or is there really such a species?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I agree on the T. Baileyi.. Never have seen any other puffers with 'Cirri' as you mentioned. I would imagine this fish comes from some pretty murky waters, and uses those to navigate for food like crustacea, snails, and worms..

Your best bet on finding info on a rare puffer like this is to contact someone who is stocking them (One of our Community Sponsors would be a good start).. and see if he will allow you to contact whoever supplied the puffers. If you can actually converse with the overseas Exporter, he can get you information on where it was located, and what kind of river conditions it came out of..

If you find some Info, please do a write-up and share!! Would love to see this puffer become more popular. **************.org would love to hear about it too.. Perhaps even they would have some info on it..

Miles

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
It is confirmed to be the T.baileyi. A lot of information on ThePuffersForum.org

Thanks for the link to the forum.

Looking at the other pictures, mine is a rather hairy one.

And if you find it ugly, and like to look at ugly things, go look in the mirror. :hitting:

Just kidding. :cheers:

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Keep us updated! I am very interested! Did this species make it into the encyclopedia of exotic freshwater fish? I don't think it did, because Jeni (Pufferpunk) is the one who did the puffer articles, and she has no experience with this fish..

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Sometimes collecters get to be the first offficial describers and get to name stuff, pretty cool. when in doubt send pics and maybe tissue samples to smithsonian or national zoo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store