what's your worst purchase

freeNINETY9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
I just bought a $3 baby green terror from either petco or petsmart, i forget which... and he'll probably be dead tomorrow because he was struggling today. I broke my own rule about not ever getting fish from either of those stores.

a lot of people on this site bash on chain petstores about having bad fish but everytime i read a story about it it begins with 'oh i saw this poor half dead fish so i decided to buy it...'

try buying the healthier fish guys and youll have better luck. even your lfs have die off so i dont get what the big deal is about buying from chain stores.

-shrug-

freeNINETY9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
I did declorinate the water and when I add water when the level goes low I declorinate it before addition to the tank. The Ph lev is usually close to 6.5, Should it be closer to a balanced level of 7 or Is it better for my extreme mix of fish to have a higher accidity then 7? Honestly I'm a newbie at alot of this so I have no measurement tools for the first 3 of your level questions.

i know glass fish, violet gobies, and silver tip sharks (im guessing thats what you meant buy shark catfish) all like some salt in their tanks. even a more brackish tank than freshwater. even livebearers like it. try getting your salt levels higher. some petstores keep their salt levels between .20-.30 for their regular systems and even higher for tanks with these brackish fish. that might be the problem: dropping them into a tank with no salt...

bigslolb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2006
Sugar Land
my worst purchase was a large pleco. it was going good until i woke up the next morning and found that myh pacu had bitten its head off. the pleco was huge so that i thought my pacu wont mess with this. well i learned that if you have a monster in your tank no matter what u put in there, the monster will come out on top

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
my worst purchase was also the BEST! it was my first tank! now i got 2 tanks in the livin room and one in the kitchen. its one of the best hobbies out there but it costs more to maintain than my race car!

IMFishHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
Clifton New Jersey USA
Geeze I thought ohh cool, I never had one of those, Well put him in with a Arrowhead puffer / same size. Puffer takes big bite out of Chaca. I now decide I'll put him in my mixed tropical tank. Loaded with all nice fish 8 different rare plecos, 1 dat, jumbo glass cat, and many others. Well Chaca's give off a TOXIN when dying ( from bite ) All fish died over night in that tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Several hundred $$$ worth of fish! Here's pic of Chaca getting Aqclimated!

Chaca Chaca.JPG

robkob

Candiru
MFK Member
May 28, 2005
lost
Paid $285 for a beautiful leopard shark that committed suicde the first night.

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
deffenetly my spotted gar, i loved him, and fed him live fish every day, maitaining him costed a fortune, one day wen he was finally getting nice he jumped out of the aquarium.... i was devastated!:character0087: :character0087: :character0087:

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
:WTF: :ROFL: :ROFL:

You ever been shocked by a electric catfish almost a foot long??? i haved, i nevered put my hands or anything near her tank again!(accept food)

but, m worset of all is A common puffer fish the fish guy at the store said it is ok with my reef tank but, darn thing wound stopp eating!!!!:swear: it ate all coral/anomme it ate my snails and one of my damsels and my clown fish:swear: :swear: :swear: now i got one lonely clown fish i took it back two days later:swear: :wall: :angryfire (i had it only two month i got it for 40bucks, man i was will to give it away for free that i hated that thing so much!) my my second worst purchase was a electric blue crayfish about 5-6inches long it attacked attaked every fish even over a foot long -damn thing got a deaf wish or somthing going after my RTC that thing eats any thing. 3rd is a saleleant worm it can breath air. Picking it up off the ground every moring for 3 month was a pain in the butt.

that was dumb on your part :ROFL:

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
:WTF: :ROFL: :ROFL:

You ever been shocked by a electric catfish almost a foot long??? i haved, i nevered put my hands or anything near her tank again!(accept food)

but, m worset of all is A common saltwater puffer fish the fish guy at the store said it is ok with my reef tank but, darn thing wound stopp eating!!!!:swear: it ate all coral/anomme it ate my snails and one of my damsels and my clown fish:swear: :swear: :swear: now i got one lonely clown fish i took it back two days later:swear: :wall: :angryfire (i had it only two month i got it for 40bucks, man i was will to give it away for free that i hated that thing so much!)

my my second worst purchase was a electric blue crayfish about 5-6inches long it attacked attaked every fish even over a foot long -damn thing got a deaf wish or somthing going after my RTC that thing eats any thing. 3rd is a saleleant worm it can breath air. Picking it up off the ground every moring for 3 month was a pain in the butt.

that was dumb on your part :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store