white spot on Gar's head???

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have absolutely no idea what this disease / problem could be, but just looking at the photos it looks almost like some type of fungal infection... i wonder if something like Melafix / Primafix might help a little (since they are meant for fungal infections as well?)

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
So I have been combing over the different threads here and have come across this
http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6230522 and e_americanus said that that particular gar has face erosion, I'm wondering if this is what I'm dealing with. He said that it's cause is almost always some kind of malnourishment. I feed them pink minnows and night crawlers, all live, and am trying to pellet train them. The one with the white spot tries the pellets but didn't like that they stick to his teeth, so he spits them out before it makes it to his throat.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
While Betadine is an excelent topical antiseptic for wounds etc. I would not recomend it in this case do to the close proximity to the gill, eyes and mouth.

You can use (in your tank with a high PH and harness) a combination of Triple sulfa and Malachite Green at half dosage.

The use of Triple Sulfa with Malachite Green can buffer the effects of Malachite Green in fish such as Clown Loaches, Catfish and other sensative fish. The use of Triple Sulfa with Malachite Green also provides the benefit of increased secondary infection protection, especially effective against Fungus (Saprolegnia) & Columnaris.

Do a 50% water change and dose half the recomended dosage. As always make sure any carbon is removed for the filter. If the fish shows any signs of not toleration the treatment discontinue and do a 50% water change two days on a row to remove meds and/or replace carbon. The fish should tolerate this since your Ph is high with hard water. MG is harsher in soft water with a lower PH, so this is a very effective treatment with your water conditions. MG & 3x sulfa ia also much eaiser on your BB than some other treatments.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
While Betadine is an excelent topical antiseptic for wounds etc. I would not recomend it in this case do to the close proximity to the gill, eyes and mouth.

You can use (in your tank with a high PH and harness) a combination of Triple sulfa and Malachite Green at half dosage.

The use of Triple Sulfa with Malachite Green can buffer the effects of Malachite Green in fish such as Clown Loaches, Catfish and other sensative fish. The use of Triple Sulfa with Malachite Green also provides the benefit of increased secondary infection protection, especially effective against Fungus (Saprolegnia) & Columnaris.

Do a 50% water change and dose half the recomended dosage. As always make sure any carbon is removed for the filter. If the fish shows any signs of not toleration the treatment discontinue and do a 50% water change two days on a row to remove meds and/or replace carbon. The fish should tolerate this since your Ph is high with hard water. MG is harsher in soft water with a lower PH, so this is a very effective treatment with your water conditions. MG & 3x sulfa ia also much eaiser on your BB than some other treatments.
So I will be trying this but was wondering how I should go about dosage because as I understand it, gar are very sensitive to medications and I don't want to do any more damage to him than he already has. I really just wish we could get past this. Otherwise everything else is going great with them, they both have a ferocious appetite and swim around fine and seem fine. I even got them eating nightcrawlers out of my hand now. water is still very clean as always.
I was hoping E_americanus would look this thread over as I was told he would be off some help, I sent him a pm but didn't get a response. If anyone knows him personally please ask him to look this over. Thanks.

Some update pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1377397693116.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377397894855.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377397928883.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377398025991.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377398453646.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My post give dosage instructions. Half recomended dosage as per instructions on medacations.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
in one of the pictures it almost looked like all the scales where gone in the area of the lesion. Is there white patch on top of the scales or are the scales missing?

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
in one of the pictures it almost looked like all the scales where gone in the area of the lesion. Is there white patch on top of the scales or are the scales missing?
I don't think that gar have scales pat there gills, kinda turns to skin. But the infection has spread to his back and is now affecting the scales there.I have to order the medication that was mentioned, there isn't a lfs here.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I have been heavily salting the tank, like almost 2 tablespoons per gal, and it has cleared up the fin rot that both my gar came in with from azaquaticgardens. The white spot dozent seem to be getting better,I think I'm going to move him to a hospital tank and order those meds. The only thing that test high in my tank is the nitrates, but my tap water that I use for water changes actually test higher than my tank and it is no higher than any of my other tanks are normally.I have been feeding them nightcrawlers and just starred to introduce frozen pinkies into there diet. They really liked them allot. They were primarily on minnows. So I hope that this takes care of any malnourishment if any.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store