Wolf fish cohabitation?

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
This is probably a pipe dream,but does anyone have much luck with keeping multiple wolf fish together? I have two mala I'm growing out together, and I have my new black wolf. I have some serious size difference. The black is around the ten inch mark, the the mala are sitting around 4 and 5 inches. I'm thinking expensive feeders. I currently have the black in a 75 by itself, and I'm growing out in 36 then a 55. (Unless I find a sweet deal on something 75+). I'm putting my old 13 inch flowerhorn into my 150 for his remaining time, he's about 6 years old. Once he kicks it, I was thinking of trying to turn the 150 into a wolf fish tank. Thoughts?

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
My black wolf is the biggest of the lot at 14 inches.

The other wolves are 9, 10 and 12 inches. Some chasing here and there but so far no big incidents.

My tank as quite a lot of wood and plants for hiding and some other big fishes that do the distraction. Also I kept the big wolf very well fed most of the time.

Worth a try but you gotta monitor the situation closely. :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You have a problem with the black because it's a bit more aggressive than ur Malas.

Need a bigger tank for sure to allow to escape and hide. Keep well fed. I would wait until you get a bigge tank or keep in separated tanks. Let the Malas get bigger for a chance at co-habing.

Not much to add as red Aimara has already done it.

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
I tried cohabing 2 Aimara (10" and 11") and a Curu (11"). The funny thing is all the aggression came from my Black Wolf, the Aimara were ok together by themselves. It can be done with some patience, but IMHO I think it really depends on the specimen. My Black Wolf doesn't flare at me, doesn't eat tankmates no matter what size and even lets me pet him, but if I try to put another Wolf Fish in the tank is WW3.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I second the above posts. Curupira specifically are known to be aggressive to other wolves. Not only that, but your size difference is to large. He will likely eat your malas, if he's 10" he'll slow down in about a month which will allow the malas to catch up, I'd say let them get to 10" by then the curu should be a foot and then add them in with some dithers. You will need a bigger tank. Keep well fed as kno4te said.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
150g wide is a good start. Section off the areas with wood and plants. Heavily stacked breaking lines of sight.

Keep a divider ready in case.

Keep in mind black wolves supposedly reach 30in but not sure what size long term in home aqauriums.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'll echo the above and add, that the largest I've read if grown in captivity, was 17" I believe maybe 18, but didn't make it past 5-10 years, so there was still a lot of room to grow. Also if we state one fishes possible max size I feel obligated to state the others, malas have been said to be seen up to 24" as well. People have grown their malas to 20" in captivity. I've not read of larger. These sizes are years down the road however, and a 150 is as kno4te said a good start, now obviously 3 20" wolves will be cramped and probably stop tolerating eachother in this tank.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That's a beautiful wolf! Stunning at that size. Looks so stocky, I was looking at mine today and thought about how much he's grown and how thick he's gotten, I got a proud feeling lol. I love that about curus, they're stocky. I wouldn't mind keeping him alone at that size. Any idea the age of this fish or how long it took to grow to that size, and in what size tank?

Reactions: Red Aimara
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store