Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
What are some of your favorite fish that are essentially miniature versions of famous tankbusters?

My favorite is technically a combo: having a red tailed shark+featherfin catfish+pictus catfish as a stand in for tankbuster pimelodids (red tailed catfish, tiger shovelnose catfish, achara catfish). The red tailed shark provides the magnificent colors of the red tailed catfish, the featherfin catfish provides the tall fin of the achara catfish as well as patterning analogous to both the achara and tiger shovelnose, and the pictus catfish provides the long whiskers & bauplan of all 3 (plus some bonus spots and high activity levels).

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Dwarf puffer - Mini fahaka
Shrimpgoby - Almost bichir-like (not really, but reminds me of one)
Pistol shrimp - Like a mantis
Peacock eel - Fire eel
Silver dollar - Pacu
Exodon (haven’t had the pleasure yet) - Red belly piranha

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Something I would've liked to add to the original post but the edit function timed out: Tiger barbs and yoyo/zebra/Burmese loaches as a stand in for clown loaches.
Clown loaches aren't tankbusters, but not everyone has the space for a 180+ cm, 473+ liter tank. In that case the tiger barbs are virtual lookalikes to the prized clown loach pattern, and the yoyo/zebra/Burmese loaches provide the bauplan and behavior of the clown loaches.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Something I would've liked to add to the original post but the edit function timed out: Tiger barbs and yoyo/zebra/Burmese loaches as a stand in for clown loaches.
Clown loaches aren't tankbusters, but not everyone has the space for a 180+ cm, 473+ liter tank. In that case the tiger barbs are virtual lookalikes to the prized clown loach pattern, and the yoyo/zebra/Burmese loaches provide the bauplan and behavior of the clown loaches.
I’ll add skunk and sun loaches to that list for a tiger loach substitute. One of the meaner loaches and these guys follow suit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store