Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
And there’s the Borneo redfin shark (do I have that right esox?), the mini bala shark.
Or red tail shark, the mini black shark.
Exactly! I don't get why people buy huge, high-strung balas when things like redfin, red tail, rainbow, and roseline sharks exist.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Exactly! I don't get why people buy huge, high-strung balas when things like redfin, red tail, rainbow, and roseline sharks exist.
I may be part of the bala problem lol…
They are just one of those fish that are so popular they won’t go anywhere no matter how many people are educated.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Unfortunately you're probably right. If only 4+ meter tanks were as popular as the bala sharks that need them....

Missed your suggestion about red tail sharks as a substitute for black sharks. It's absolutely perfect, and most people (myself included) actually prefer the red tail+black body to a uniformly black color scheme.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Unfortunately you're probably right. If only 4+ meter tanks were as popular as the bala sharks that need them....

Missed your suggestion about red tail sharks as a substitute for black sharks. It's absolutely perfect, and most people (myself included) actually prefer the red tail+black body to a uniformly black color scheme.
+1, I loved my rainbow shark. Model citizen, except with the kribs. He tried to eat their fry constantly, to his demise. They tore his throat out…

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Rip to that rainbow shark. Sucks when one fish kills another.

On a bit of a different note, that's one of the reasons no cichlid is ever welcome in my tanks. No innocent community fish will ever get caught in the infamous crossfire of cichlid spawning.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Rip to that rainbow shark. Sucks when one fish kills another.

On a bit of a different note, that's one of the reasons no cichlid is ever welcome in my tanks. No innocent community fish will ever get caught in the infamous crossfire of cichlid spawning.
That’s nature I suppose. Why they aren’t supposed to meet in nature. Nosy fish plus “African mini convict” doesn’t end well. Really sucks when you don’t see it coming though.
I like my cichlids, just something about them that makes me like having them in any tank that I can. Most of the more mild ones are very peaceful so long as they aren’t paired.

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
“African mini convict”
LOL. That sounds about right.

You may know of species I don't, but from what I've heard, I personally don't trust any cichlid that I know of to be a community fish. The only ones who aren't the ususal aggressive a**holes who will eat/bully innocent community fish are too timid, sensitive, and fussy to do well in my tanks (eg: how can discus be expected to get even 1 pellet or bloodworm when there is a pictus catfish?).

As for the thread topic, I suppose kribs could be an alternative to emperor cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store