losing fish faith help!

meluvmeosky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
michigan
O.k. im starting to lose faith in my fish keeping. I have a friend who takes the worst care of his fish. he has a jag, JD, Pbass, and an oscar in a 55! And he never test the water rarely ever does water changes and the little bastards are growing like weeds. how can this be? I keep up on my fish care pretty religously (sorry if spelling is wrong im very hungover) and my cichlids seem to be gorwing so slowly! please restore my faith

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
I've actually noticed this too, it's a bit odd. My neighboor has a 55 with 4 foot long goldies, a 9" plec, and a 8" tall angel, and they are all thriving.:screwy:

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
Some fish just naturally grow slower than others, which is why knowing which fish you have would help.

Besides, even if his 'grow like weeds', and yours are a little slower...who cares. In the long run, your fish will thrive under proper care and live long, healthy lives. His will likely rip each other apart in way too small quarters, if they don't die from improper conditions first.

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com
I've actually noticed this too, it's a bit odd. My neighboor has a 55 with 4 foot long goldies, a 9" plec, and a 8" tall angel, and they are all thriving.:screwy:
That would be an awfully crowded tank seeing as a typical 55 gallon tank is only 1 foot wide.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Tank mates would be helpful fo shore mate. Your friend could be over feeding the fish, giving them a chance to grow faster. Jags and pbass are freakin fast growers, and if he feeds them live foods, like he probably does, then they ARE gonna grow freakin fast. If you try to compare their growth with say something like a red terror....they are gonna win each time.

CichlidAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
MN
Your friend it also probably overfeeding the crap out of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store