Spiny Freshwater Crayfish (Murray cray E. armatus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJB101084

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Arizona
I have a few good sized tanks and one in which holds 3 LMB raised since fry and have had for 4 years. I now am looking to get the spiny crayfish and need to know where I can get one. I am currently doing lots of research on best living conditions but for the most part they seem pretty hardy. If anyone knows where I might find one I would very much so appreciate the recommendation.

TJB101084

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Arizona
I am betting alot of people havent as every where I read it says "not typically found sold in the market so to get one you need to catch them in the wild" I really need to find one

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
Oh yeh that definitelly would be cool to have

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
let me guess you watched monster fish on nat geo wild last nignt

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
it would be very hard to find one of these since they are extinct or near extinct!

torval

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2011
united states
they are nowhere near extinct. check out this vid of a friend trapping em.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOt9J8rTGA

but, you will not find one for sale outside aus. sorry. i've only ever seen 2 outside aus and some guy in china had them, and he lost one. if you live in aus they are perfectly legal to catch and eat or keep in an aquarium during a certain season.

and the spinifer is a different species than the murray, which should be obvious from the pictures hehe. they are both of the genus euastacus, the spiny crays, which are evident on their tails.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
they are nowhere near extinct. check out this vid of a friend trapping em.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOt9J8rTGA

but, you will not find one for sale outside aus. sorry. i've only ever seen 2 outside aus and some guy in china had them, and he lost one. if you live in aus they are perfectly legal to catch and eat or keep in an aquarium during a certain season.

and the spinifer is a different species than the murray, which should be obvious from the pictures hehe. they are both of the genus euastacus, the spiny crays, which are evident on their tails.
they are listed as extinct on the red list! http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/8136/0

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
no, they're listed as "Data Deficient". meaning that there isn't enough data to call them threatened or not.

DATA DEFICIENT (DD)
A taxon is Data Deficient when there is inadequate information to make a direct, or indirect, assessment of its risk of extinction based on its distribution and/or population status. A taxon in this category may be well studied, and its biology well known, but appropriate data on abundance and/or distribution are lacking. Data Deficient is therefore not a category of threat. Listing of taxa in this category indicates that more information is required and acknowledges the possibility that future research will show that threatened classification is appropriate. It is important to make positive use of whatever data are available. In many cases great care should be exercised in choosing between DD and a threatened status. If the range of a taxon is suspected to be relatively circumscribed, and a considerable period of time has elapsed since the last record of the taxon, threatened status may well be justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store