how do you sex juvenile salvini cichlid and firemouth cichlid?

CichlidFan779

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Wisconsin
hello, i am wondering how you sex a 2 inch long salvini cichlid and firemouth cichlid, if anyone has any pictures of a male salvini, female salvini, male firemouth, and female firemouth can you post pictures or give me links to pictures so i can compare them? i need to know how to sex them because i want a male salvini and a male firemouth for a 55 gallon aquarium, thanks!

aclockworkorange

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Firemouths aren't really easy to sex at a small size... At least I don't know an easy way to do it.

Have you considered a pair of either species instead of both?

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
the bottom one appears to be female also. this can be a tricky way to sex when they are young cause it may not always show so id get three and hope for a nice male and keep your favorite one and take back the other two unless you get a pair which is what i would do with a spare 55 cause breeding cichlids are amazing and a pair of salvini fit perfect in a 55

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.

CichlidFan779

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Wisconsin
the bottom one appears to be female also. this can be a tricky way to sex when they are young cause it may not always show so id get three and hope for a nice male and keep your favorite one and take back the other two unless you get a pair which is what i would do with a spare 55 cause breeding cichlids are amazing and a pair of salvini fit perfect in a 55
i think i'll pick out the salvini that looks the most like a male and doesn't have black on it's dorsal fin and hope it turns out to be a male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store