Chitala hypselonotus and Chitala borneensis

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
RCK seems to have much larger spots with some irrugular lines. The one Oleoleole's pics shows much smaller spots and compacted together. Almost cheetah spots like. We still don't know yet. Will wait for the owner's answer.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Google didn't do very well with Tai translation... But the picture of that knife is great!

I say that it is a cross between a P Afer knife and a clown knife-Same pattern and shines my P. Afer, but body shape and size screams clown knife!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Google didn't do very well with Tai translation... But the picture of that knife is great!

I say that it is a cross between a P Afer knife and a clown knife-Same pattern and shines my P. Afer, but body shape and size screams clown knife!
No one ever crossed featherbacks yet let alone from a different genus.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Chitala Hypselonotus have spots at the base of the fins, but the pic is too blurry to tell. Was formerly labeled as Chitala CF. Lopis. For the Chitala Borneensis spots are all over lower half of the body just like in the pics Oleoleole posted. Was formerly labeled as Chitala CF. blanci.

Now that I know what C. borneensis actually looks like. Now I just need to find some clearer pics of the C. hypselonotus but I also now have sort of an idea on what it looks like. Just a matter of time when both will end up in my tank. Lol!

Oleoleole

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
BKK
The pic I posted was claim that it is Chitala lopis that caught in Southern Thailand.
If it is real, for me it is Chitala lopis, but for other it maybe boeneensis? or fake picture?...

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
The pic I posted was claim that it is Chitala lopis that caught in Southern Thailand.
If it is real, for me it is Chitala lopis, but for other it maybe boeneensis? or fake picture?...
My buddy got 2x 26" chitala lopis that were wild caught and it does not have any patterns at all. Also the chitala lopis I saw back in Asia does not have patterns as well. It was claimed to be wild caught.

Oleoleole

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
BKK
We don't have borneensis here, we have only Chilala lopis.
A few of lopis have some stripe or pattern like RCK but not clear.
Only this fish it was difference and clearly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store