310gal Update (Post Leak)

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
My 310gal sprung a leak around April sometime. My basement has been in a state of disarray ever since and I eventually had enough. Sorry for bad cellphone pictures. Could not locate my camera.

After some hectic busy times I finally found some time to redo it. In the past few weeks I have redone the plumbing, washed the sand, collected and stacked the rocks and moved in the main attraction, Ted the Red-Tailed Giant Gourami. I will be adding about 20 yellow labs and some blue dolphins and a colony of brichardi. Ted is not a gentle giant and seems to dislike ANY fish with ANY red or orange. He will be able to chase smaller fish until his heart is content but should not be able to catch them with all the rock work.

I have an external pump pushing 5500L/H. On this I have 5 outlets into the tank and one into a fluidized sand filter in my sump. I am using a 100 micron filter sock over the outlet into the sump.

Here is a pic of the guy who came to my house to do the resealing. As the tank is this big and the weight and volume are large,
I didn't want to take chances.
Tank Sealing.JPG
Here are some of the rocks I used. Two of them nearly broke my back.
IMAG0489.jpg

Plumbing from sump coming into the tank. Two side pipes keep water fl;owing between rocks and the middle one goes under the sand to the small rock pile at the other end of the tank. The 2" pipe is my overflow to the sump.
IMAG0496.jpg
IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

The upright pipe on the right was eventually shortened to about 8" as the rock pile to cover it would have been too large.

IMAG0492.jpg
Packing the rocks in. It was hard work as I did it all alone and getting in the bigger rocks took careful balancing and lifting.
IMAG0498.jpg
The main pile to conceal most of the plumbing.
IMAG0499.jpg
From the other side.
IMAG0500.jpg

Will post more pics soon of Ted enjoying his new palace.

Tank Sealing.JPG

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Big rocks and glass scares me.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Big rocks and glass scares me.
The reason placing the rocks took as long as it did is there are almost no pressure points on the glass. On the sides I have allowed a few small rocks to touch the glass but none of the big ones do. I have concrete slabs in the centre of the pile to carry the weight and keep it off the glass.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Sounds like you've done this before. Good to know. Can't wait to see it filled. Looks great already.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. But sounds like you've got it under control. Nice GG!

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
When the tank did not yet have water in it I ran some tests. I put foam between the glass and the rocks in case they tumbled and shook the tank as hard as I could to emulate an earthquake. I shook for about 5-6 seconds and not one rock moved.

A very rudimentary sketch of how I assembled the rock pile.
View attachment untitled.bmp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store