Rio Copan Vs. Rio Blanco Red Tiger Motaguense

superemone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
USA
So anyone got a Rio blanco male for sale? I got this female here looking lonely, hell she paired up wit my Thai silk flowerhorn...I laughed n split them...lol
Check with Dan from Cichlidsoftheamercias. I got a pair of Rio Blanco from him last month. They look amazing!

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Update on Rio Copan. I think that I may be the only few people to have Rio Copans like Ken said, that its harder to catch from this river. Its rare to find Rio Copans.

One of their baby

Reactions: Toiletcar

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
He did but my guess to why they do look slightly different is just down to the individuals that he brought back. That does clear up why some blancos look more like copans and vis versa.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
:ROFL:
He did but my guess to why they do look slightly different is just down to the individuals that he brought back. That does clear up why some blancos look more like copans and vis versa.

Just like Escondido carpintis and Vontehillo and Chairels all look like each other too, huh. No, if you pay attention to the details of each "variant" you'll see a consistency. Also Im sure a lot of people have mixed and mislabeled etc etc, to where someone was sold Rio Copans but they were really Rio Blancos vice versa.

Yup, I know Ken's reputation overrules every possibility of error in your mind, but even Michael Jackson misses a beat once in a while. Since we don't know how the geography is and or differs from one river to the next, there are too many variables that play part into why they look slightly different. I can see if Rio Copan spawns Rio Blanco looking offsprings, but they consistently look like their own respective parents.

I believe this is a bit similar to that old Carpintis thread and the controversies that went into it. That the lakes and runoffs, yadayada connects eventually but each Carpintis variant has their own type or pearling.

And my honest opinion is some of these expert ichthyologist are WHACKO...I mean look at how many different times cichlids are renamed and reassigned family/genus...not just once, in fact they are SO smart that they just call them EX-Cichlasoma...more like the Family formerly known as Amphilophus.

:ROFL:

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Oh yeah, and I'm sure some "experts" fail to recognize the Gorillus Red Freckled Monsters as its own variant as well.

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Oh yeah, and I'm sure some "experts" fail to recognize the Gorillus Red Freckled Monsters as its own variant as well.
I think I read every thread with this topic and never read a "expert" say they were not a new variant of Umbee? Could you post link to this? Sorry for a derial!

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
Oh I agree they are different( just as the blue and black umbees are different at least in appearance) but as you said without knowing more that's just what it is. Unknown. That is such a close area that as I understood were connected that I'm sure the two variants overlap. To me it just attests to the complexity of nature. I would one day love to go to some of these areas and see it all for myself. It would be interesting to see if the variants ever cross bred( if that's what you would call it?) or if they were monogamous to their own variant. Really all that matters though is there are more choices for us!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store