Most Black tip reef shark tank sizes given on MFK are WAY to large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
Thanks, I made a decision that I WILL do LOTS more research before even attempting sharks, as I don't want to make a mistake of a small tank that will end up hurting the shark. What size is your aquarium and what types of sharks do you have? Since I don't have nearly enough money to build a 30 feet tank, do you think that down the road I could keep a BTRS in a smaller tank just for a while, and then when it's grown the tank out I could sell it? I'm wondering till what size I could keep it in a 9 feet long tank?

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
I've never seen a BTRS aquarium 24 feet long, most I see are about 10 feet. Are all these people mistaken or just careless for the sharks week-being? I'm pretty sure they're not mistaken as the people that own these sharks are extremely experienced.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I've never seen a BTRS aquarium 24 feet long, most I see are about 10 feet. Are all these people mistaken or just careless for the sharks week-being? I'm pretty sure they're not mistaken as the people that own these sharks are extremely experienced.
Most people can't afford to properly house them for life. So what a lot of people do is get them as babies, and once they outgrow their tanks, they donate them to a large aquarium and get new baby sharks again to replace them.

However, I'm not a big fan of this practice and do not suggest that you participate in it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Thanks, I made a decision that I WILL do LOTS more research before even attempting sharks, as I don't want to make a mistake of a small tank that will end up hurting the shark. What size is your aquarium and what types of sharks do you have? Since I don't have nearly enough money to build a 30 feet tank, do you think that down the road I could keep a BTRS in a smaller tank just for a while, and then when it's grown the tank out I could sell it? I'm wondering till what size I could keep it in a 9 feet long tank?
You couldn't keep them at any size in a 9 foot tank.

Do you have a basement or very large open room that you could dedicate to this? If so, go and buy an above-ground pool that's 18-24' in diameter for a few hundred dollars at least.

But again, if you don't plan on housing it for life, don't do it at all. The pool is a temporary set up at best

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
Most people can't afford to properly house them for life. So what a lot of people do is get them as babies, and once they outgrow their tanks, they donate them to a large aquarium and get new baby sharks again to replace them.

However, I'm not a big fan of this practice and do not suggest that you participate in it.

Why are you not a big fan of this practice? What size do you think I'd need atleast for a pup right until 2-3 feet? Could a 3 feet BTRS fit in a 18 feet tank?

MRos1825

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Pittsburgh
It generally is not a good idea due to the fact that large, public aquariums do not have an unlimited amount of space to care for these animals that consumers buy and are unable to properly care for, so this cannot be considered a reliable option. Do not buy a shark, such as a BTR, that requires such a commitment with the mindset that you can just dump it on a public aquarium when it outgrows your system. If you are going to buy a shark, approach it with the mindset that you will properly provide for it for it's entire life, which is the mindset you should have when considering any pet. If you are unable to properly care for an animal for it's entire life, then DO NOT get it. I hate to be a downer, but not all of us are able to have a pet such as this. There are definitely smaller sharks that are easier to care for which would be much better options for you.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
It generally is not a good idea due to the fact that large, public aquariums do not have an unlimited amount of space to care for these animals that consumers buy and are unable to properly care for, so this cannot be considered a reliable option. Do not buy a shark, such as a BTR, that requires such a commitment with the mindset that you can just dump it on a public aquarium when it outgrows your system. If you are going to buy a shark, approach it with the mindset that you will properly provide for it for it's entire life, which is the mindset you should have when considering any pet. If you are unable to properly care for an animal for it's entire life, then DO NOT get it. I hate to be a downer, but not all of us are able to have a pet such as this. There are definitely smaller sharks that are easier to care for which would be much better options for you.
I agree.

I would need Sea Worlds facilities to house some of the species I'd like to have. But sadly, I don't, nor will I ever. So there's just some species out there that are meant for me to admire, not own.
I'm afraid that a black tip may just be one of those species for you, that you're simply not meant to own

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
Maybe, we will see. But just out of curiosity do aquariums always take sharks? IMO they shouldn't to teach people to care for sharks their entire lives, and not just take advantage of a zoo/aquarium.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Maybe, we will see. But just out of curiosity do aquariums always take sharks? IMO they shouldn't to teach people to care for sharks their entire lives, and not just take advantage of a zoo/aquarium.
Sometimes. But most of the time, no.
Not worth the risk.

If you have any respect for the animal, just leave them in the ocean where they belong. You don't want to get involved in this and quickly figure out how big of a mistake it was

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
I doubt that they would take all. Maybe some, MAYBE.

just a quick question how much experience do you have with fresh and and or saltwater tanks?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store