Channa asiatica 'red spot'

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Beautiful piece DC! I read that females have less spots, but yours is really beautiful! Mine changes colour depending on gravel colors. My normal C asiatica had a light based gravel, which i knew wasn't suitable, and she had the colors like yours in the last pic. She kept jumping and jumping, i added darker gravel and she is now settled down.
Thanks, The spots seem to intensify with age, I did have a male at one point and he did have more spots then her at the time i believe, but not a huge Diffrence. Unfortunately they started some courtship in there second spring and she turned on him and ripped him apart.

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Im hoping both my asiaticas develop alot more spots. C asiaticas are extremely fierce. I read that they should be seperated after spawning, not sure about it though, i honestly have no experience breeding these beauties. Sorry to hear about it though, i hope you can try again!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Im hoping both my asiaticas develop alot more spots. C asiaticas are extremely fierce. I read that they should be separated after spawning, not sure about it though, i honestly have no experience breeding these beauties. Sorry to hear about it though, i hope you can try again!
Oh yes , extremely fierce lol. I find them far more aggressive then any other species I've had. I've seen some fighting between pairs of snakeheads before but nothing like what she did.

I also had heard they ma need to be separated after breeding, but didn't get that chance. They were fine together, had been balling up the night before, but out of the blue the next day she snapped, bit the tail clean off him, then latched onto the back of his neck and skinned him like removing a sock, before spinning around to tear out his belly. She then went back to the surface and just let him sink! Happened in seconds , just a brutal killing.

How old is yours?

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Oh man that's really gruesome! Your male :eek:. So sorry to hear, i can imagine it.

I'm not one to get entertainment out of snakeheads killing each other, but it must've been quite interesting to see a snakehead in full insane mode and capable of what it can do. Crazy fishes :screwy:.

Mine is 6 months old (normal variant) with me, how old is truly is,i am not sure. Bought as sub adult. Red spots, 4/5 days old :).

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Oh man that's really gruesome! Your male :eek:. So sorry to hear, i can imagine it.

I'm not one to get entertainment out of snakeheads killing each other, but it must've been quite interesting to see a snakehead in full insane mode and capable of what it can do. Crazy fishes :screwy:.

Mine is 6 months old (normal variant) with me, how old is truly is,i am not sure. Bought as sub adult. Red spots, 4/5 days old :).

She's the only channa i've had who really explodes like that, but I've seen her do it to a few fish over they years. Basically if she can't swallow them in one lunge she'll bite the tail off and gut them.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
as for spots i'm sure yours looks great and i'm sure it'll develop more in time, just for comparison here she is roughly 3 years ago, so she would have been ~2 years of age...

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Correction, it was more like 4 years ago that those pictures were taken , but it still gives a comparison. Will be amazing to see how red spot's develop at 4-5 years of age !

Any new pic's yet ?

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
She's the only channa i've had who really explodes like that, but I've seen her do it to a few fish over they years. Basically if she can't swallow them in one lunge she'll bite the tail off and gut them.
Now thats just mean! haha. If mine cant swallow live prey she just kills them.

Nice C asiatica development, a huge difference in terms of spots! Looks like even my normal variant may have some growing to do.

Unfortunately, no new pics, currently busy with C auranti's tank. I'll try to get more once im done, but she is still very shy :)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
One of the most beautyfull channa ever. Never saw one, sadly.

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
One of the most beautyfull channa ever. Never saw one, sadly.
One of the most beautiful indeed.

Sadly no updates yet guys, set up my camera infront of his tank for an hour on record and still nothing. Even with the lights dimmed all the way. Hopefully she gets more comfortable soon :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store