Channa asiatica 'red spot'

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi,

just a few words to agressivness after spawning amongst asiatica pairs:

My female killed her first partner half a year after their first (and very succesful) spawning.
After the hibernation I introduced another mal in her tank, and he was very attracted by her, which run into spawning a week later. These two spawned once a year for three years in my house, Then i had to give up most of my tanks and fish in winter 2012. And the pair started spawning after hibernation in their new owners home. Both fish were never separated and had no fightings at all at any time. But what happend to the first partner shows what could happen if one of these fish comes into a bad mood. maybe the second male is what we call in german a "Frauenversteher" (=knows what women think )

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Interesting info Brucki, 3 years is amazing! Looks like the second male knows what he's doing ;).

Do you know if the pair is still together today?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Hi,

just a few words to agressivness after spawning amongst asiatica pairs:

My female killed her first partner half a year after their first (and very succesful) spawning.
After the hibernation I introduced another mal in her tank, and he was very attracted by her, which run into spawning a week later. These two spawned once a year for three years in my house, Then i had to give up most of my tanks and fish in winter 2012. And the pair started spawning after hibernation in their new owners home. Both fish were never separated and had no fightings at all at any time. But what happend to the first partner shows what could happen if one of these fish comes into a bad mood. maybe the second male is what we call in german a "Frauenversteher" (=knows what women think )
Interesting, I remember seeing pic's of the original male with no tail. I wouldn't have thought a second male being introduced would have been possible, i've always assumed she would just gut a new male after being solo for so long.

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Another addition of Channa asiatica 'red spot' has been added to my collection. If i remember correctly, the shop owner said a guy bought a few pieces off his shipment of C asiatica 'red spots' (his shipment came in around 7 - 8 pcs), and that this piece was paired with my very first piece in his tank. The guy who bought it said these 2 were in a corner, not fighting, while all the other C asiaticas he bought were beaten up. So i may have a pair. However, he seperated them in the shop just for safety measure. I have partitioned them to observe. Hopefully all goes well.

Just to be sure, can anyone confirm the sexes of these 2 for me? Thanks :).

Specimen 1

Channa asiatica 'red spot' by Aristoheliam, on Flickr

Do let me know if you need any other photos to sex them.

Specimen 2

Channa asiatica 'red spots' by Aristoheliam, on Flickr

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Good news Auranti!
Specimen 2 looks male in that top down picture. Can you get a similar pic for specimen 1?

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
Thanks! I was told specimen 2 was female, but i didnt really believe it he jut looked... smaller and slimmer. Im not an expert in sexing channa, so i just posted here to double check. Ill try to get pics of specimen 1 tomorrow! The lights just went off, dont want to cause more stress.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I´m not expert either. far from it! In fact, I can´t even sex my own channas. LOL

But the arrow shaped head of specimen 2 looks maleish...

Auranti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
singapore
I´m not expert either. far from it! In fact, I can´t even sex my own channas. LOL

But the arrow shaped head of specimen 2 looks maleish...
I cant either haha! But ill post clearer pics tomorrow! :)

I wish we could keep these over this side of the pond. Awesome specimens!
Thanks! If i'm not wrong, snakehead gudgeons can be found in Australia. Not snakeheads, but a nice and similar looking replacement :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store