Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
heck yea, cats aren't any easier. I asked about an application for cat adoption at petco, it was ridiculous.
seriously, even for cats? "Rescues" have become a real scam here in Cali.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Having been employed at a shelter and being a volunteer for 4 years I wouldn't be surprised if a county shelter did that but I know mine wouldn't. If we send a dog to rescue its cause they need it lol. Keep in mind breed rescues are crazy as Heck

Sent from my VS840 4G

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Might be a racket too...Someone at the county shelters probably call them when the potentially profitable pooches come in so they can sell them and give the shelters a cut of the sales.
that's what I think too. purebred dogs have even been stolen from yards and adopted out from county shelters in another district to rescues before the owner can find them.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Having been employed at a shelter and being a volunteer for 4 years I wouldn't be surprised if a county shelter did that but I know mine wouldn't. If we send a dog to rescue its cause they need it lol. Keep in mind breed rescues are crazy as Heck
I'm sure some are honest, but I am about ready to throw in the towel. I'm checking on a dog tomorrow and if it is already "Taken", I'm done. gonna look for a regular purchase.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I'm sure some are honest, but I am about ready to throw in the towel. I'm checking on a dog tomorrow and if it is already "Taken", I'm done. gonna look for a regular purchase.
You dealing with a rescue? County shelter, or a privately funded shelter? County shelters practically give stuff away, rescues are the most strict and privately funded varies

Sent from my VS840 4G

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
You dealing with a rescue? County shelter, or a privately funded shelter? County shelters practically give stuff away, rescues are the most strict and privately funded varies
I have searching everything, county shelters and private rescues looking for a boxer mix. don't want a pit mix because of their "bite & shake" strength we have a chi left here, after losing our big old girl. I can't freakin believe how much things have changed in 13 years. I think the Rescue politics are worse in So Cal, which is closest to me because I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Well that's may be part of the issue finding a boxer in a shelter that is good with kids and small dogs is kinda hard. Of the 25+ boxers I've met throw my shelter I can say with certainty that only like 5 meet what you need and excluding pit mix in California limits you so much. Boxers in a county shelter are there cause they either came in as a stray cause it got out and there for the shelter knows nothing, owners surrendered it because it either knocked a child down or chased/ killed something small, or its old. Boxer rescue is even more difficult. I say just hang in there and keep looking. They do pop up just not often. I'd say look online for someone needing to rehome one and talk to them

Sent from my VS840 4G

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Well that's may be part of the issue finding a boxer in a shelter that is good with kids and small dogs is kinda hard. Of the 25+ boxers I've met throw my shelter I can say with certainty that only like 5 meet what you need and excluding pit mix in California limits you so much. Boxers in a county shelter are there cause they either came in as a stray cause it got out and there for the shelter knows nothing, owners surrendered it because it either knocked a child down or chased/ killed something small, or its old. Boxer rescue is even more difficult. I say just hang in there and keep looking. They do pop up just not often. I'd say look online for someone needing to rehome one and talk to them
I know adults are hard, but where the heck to puppy mixes go?

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I know adults are hard, but where the heck to puppy mixes go?
I've seen one purebred boxer puppy and maybe 3 puppy boxer mixes in 4 years lol. Boxer puppies don't end up in shelters. And if their is a little they are usually pit mix. If you want a puppy specifically try a Craigslist add. Most breed rescues don't deal with puppies, they focus on adults cause they are hard to place. Puppies will get adopted easily, adults not so much. If you want a puppy keep your eye out, but they puppies we had lasted 3 days before they got adopted. They go quick

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
every time I see pups in a county list, they already have several "holds" on them before me.
CL mix pups are still expensive with a few unknown breeds in them and most have pit.
Breed rescues have good screening (that's where we got our last girl) but they go fast & have waiting lists for good temperament we need. LAST time, 13 yrs ago, we got a PERFECT family dog (mixed, not pure) immediately. best dog we ever had, she was from owner surrender emergency.
Now, rescue activists have apparently monopolized the available dogs. Ethical rescues take dogs who really need rescuing, but some are snatching up all the puppies too, which don't need rescue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store