My "Aequidens metae", part 2

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Bump this back up with some photos of my Wet Spot "metae". Didn't feel like manually focusing the macro lens, so these are with the kit 55-200mm. If there's any interest I can probably get some tight macro shots if it would help any.

And one of a G. abalios for fun (I'm sure Ryan can properly ID them for me. Bought them as Geophagus abalios "Columbian Surinamensis" Wild)

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Bump this back up with some photos of my Wet Spot "metae". Didn't feel like manually focusing the macro lens, so these are with the kit 55-200mm. If there's any interest I can probably get some tight macro shots if it would help any.

And one of a G. abalios for fun (I'm sure Ryan can properly ID them for me. Bought them as Geophagus abalios "Columbian Surinamensis" Wild)
Definitely more diadema-like. If they are wild from Peru (and not a clerical error or a lie), then they would have to be Jenaro Herrera I believe. I am unaware of any other Aequidens that comes from Peru.

They look pretty good though. Time will certainly tell us what they are. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
How about an update Ryan? My wife refers to mine as "those obese fish". Trying to feed Satanoperca and Geophagus multiple small meals a day means the Aequidens are getting too much I'm afraid. They also bite the crap out of my hand when I add the sinking pellets. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow, they're quite a bit larger now.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Facial stripe is too long for diadema, too short for metae. Looks like the black midlateral stripe is extending into the dorsals (pics 1 and 3), and pectoral fin color all lean sp. JH ... throw the location in, and I'd be pretty sure to call them JH's.

How big are the geos? I don't recognize the tail pattern off the top of my head, but I want to say G. abalios are from Venezuela and not Colombia (though there are a lot of species that are found in both). Can paw through the bible for ya, at least until Ryan or Ed pops up.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don't think mine have grown that much, but it could just be that I see them every day. They are, however, getting really nasty with each other. I'm seeing a lot of missing scales and split fins. I was watching the tank earlier and they're seeking each other out just to take bites at one another. I'm thinking I'm going to swap them out with my electric blue acaras in the 150 community. That should give them some breathing room and hopefully calm down a bit of the aggression. I'm just nervous about how they'll act with the smaller orangehead geos in my 150... Hopefully the aggression is mostly just conspecific.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Here's my update. Fat pigs. I've got one that's a tad larger that is chasing the other three slightly, but not to the extent of ripped fins. They're also in a 180 which helps. They don't give a crap about the Geophagus, tetras, or rams. Seems to be 100% conspecific.

Also two of my Geophagus and a Satanoperca.

Looks like the Satanoperca have the bird/snail/fish parasite. Can't tell with the naked eye but the camera flash really makes the cysts pop.

I'll do a full tank post in another thread once my angelfish show up sometime next week, more than enough derail for one night.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Mine don't sit still long enough to take pictures. I have them in my 150 with some orangehead geos, a pair of Heros severus, and some other miscellaneous fish. They are getting very nasty with each other. Lots of darting at each other with mouths wide open and taking huge bites out of each other. The scales heal and the fins grow back but it's definitely getting worse as they grow. I also see them go after the geos. They're definitely not mellow fish.

I'm starting to see differences in the sexes, with the males being bigger, longer and thinner, and more colorful, while the females are short and plump. I'd guess the males are 5 - 5.5" while the females range from 3 - 4". They have been slow growing for me, but that's probably because I only do one large weekly water change and two daily feedings on that tank. I tried raising them like my other grow-outs, in smaller tanks with more frequent feedings and water changes, but the aggression got too bad and I had to upgrade them. At 3" they were trying to murder each other in a 55. I thought the 150 would alleviate that, but it looks like they're just meant to be this way.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I took some quick shots with a crappy point and shoot camera. Excuse the blurriness and the water spots.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Thanks for sharing Ryan. Mine are in a 180 and get once a week water changes as well. Kept with abalios, daemon, and some angels. All four of mine are about the same size, 5-5.5". I've got some slight conspecific aggression mainly between what I think is the dominant male and a female, though I really can't tell them apart very well. Yours look to have pointier dorsal and anal fins than all of mine, and mine are pretty darn chunky (they get fed once a day, 6x a week). One of mine has much more dramatic wormy markings and is more yellow than the other three. If I had to guess I'd say either 2 male and 2 female, or 3 male and 1 female. Mine also destroyed my anubias, ate it all down to nubs. Dang things love plants.

I got out my camera which I haven't used in months and snapped some updated shots as well. My lighting is pretty yellow so I messed with the white balance to get a more natural look (otherwise they'd be very orange looking).

Group shot - I think two males on the right and females to the left, but I'm not positive.

A couple loose scales - the extent of the aggression so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store