Hoplias Lacerdae

SkySouza

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
amazing thread. Being a new wolf owner (lacerdae) I have thoroughly learned a lot from this one thread that i could not find anywhere else

tr6

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
bay area
amazing thread. Being a new wolf owner (lacerdae) I have thoroughly learned a lot from this one thread that i could not find anywhere else
You could have an H. australis Skyler, I didn't really ID it 100% when i caught it.
i know its not Malabaricus.
Its still small, is he eating pellets yet?
The one i still have is eating up all my albino firefish peacock fry!

If you like Ill bring you back all 3 when i go back in March.
TR6.

younggalaxy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2012
Canada
I have too always found this thread particularly insightful. It shows how quickly (while guilty) we'd say mala when it's not an obvious curupira or aimara. Very interesting genus.. I don't know what you have there but it is nice. tr6 I wish I lived in the area to get a Hoplias from you/

mikepike66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
uk
Mala and lacerd are 2 differently marked fish nowt to do with jaw . And via the pic yours appears to be a very nice Mala

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
KRSwop1;3829044; said:
Here is a more helpful picture from your site: http://www.aqvaterra.com/imagenes/others_species/tetras36.jpg

If the wolf in question has the same jaw structure as the fish on the left then it's malabaricus or in the malabaricus family.
CORRECT

If it is the same as the wolf on the right, then it is lacerdae, aimara or in the lacerdae family.
CORRECT

If you are saying that australis is in the lacerdae family, then it MUST have the same jaw structure as lacerdae (one of the defining traits).
SIMILAR....NO IDENTICAL

Malabaricus may have multiple species under it's classification, but since not much work has been done to separate them into different species, they are all classified as malabaricus.
YES, THAT'S WHY WE CALL IT FOR "MALABARICUS GROUP"

This fish in question has the same jaw structure as the fish on the left, therefore it is malabaricus.
NOT IN MY OPINION...AND THAT BECAUSE THE JAW STRUCTURE OF THE H.australis, EVEN IF IT BELONGS TO THE "LACERDAE GROUP" AND EVEN IF THE JAW STRUCTURE IS MUCH MORE SIMILAR TO THE H.lacerdae...LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING BETWEEN THE JAW OF BOTH...
WE COULD SAY; H.malabaricus to the left....H.lacerdae to the right...and H.australis between those two...even if it's more to the right.

I realize that there are multiple visual differences between malabaricus and lacardae, but the jaw structure just seems to be the easiest and fastest way to separate the species.
OF COURSE!!
BUT NOT WHEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE H.australis...FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW THE H.australis, I GUESS THEY HAVE MORE DIFFICULT TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN malabaricus-australis THAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN malabaricus-lacerdae..iF THEY JUST LOOK AT THE JAW STRUCTURE AND NOT TO THE BODY SHAPE, PATTERNS AND COLOR
BUMP

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
The first pic is definately a Malabaricus. The second one is Australis (as have parallel dentaries and around 5 pores on each dentary. The 3rd pic looks like a Lacerdae alright, as the dentaries are also parallel but there are more pores on each dentary. See how the colour patter are similar, though...

* This is perhaps the best comparison of pics ive ever seen of live wolf fish. This should be archieved for future reference.

I support Felipes findings 100%. Again thanks Felipe for your collecting and sharing.
Erik
BUMP

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Page 11 has photos of the jaw of mala,aus, and lac hope this can help. Im not a wolf guy but this has become a intereasting topic.

JacobWhitley

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
USA
The first pic is definately a Malabaricus. The second one is Australis (as have parallel dentaries and around 5 pores on each dentary. The 3rd pic looks like a Lacerdae alright, as the dentaries are also parallel but there are more pores on each dentary. See how the colour patter are similar, though...

* This is perhaps the best comparison of pics ive ever seen of live wolf fish. This should be archieved for future reference.

I support Felipes findings 100%. Again thanks Felipe for your collecting and sharing.
Erik
first pic is Australis last 2 are Lacerdae

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store